Is it true...(puppies)

Thread: Is it true...(puppies)

SweetRuiN is offline Member

DefaultIs it true...(puppies)

My Vet (whom I don't really care for) was telling me that vaccinating a puppy under 10-12wks of age is pointless, as they still have "false immunity" to diseases from their mother, and that any breeder who advertises "with their first shots" for a pup under 10-12wks is giving a false sense of "more bang for your buck" to sell their puppies easier.

Is this true?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MSUlady is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Is it true...(puppies)

Yes and no.

I don't think breeders are trying to give a false sense of security by vaccinating early. Veterinarians aren't really sure when colostral immunity (the immunity that a puppy receives from it's dam) wanes for many diseases. The modern scheduling of puppy vaccination aims to cover all puppies. Some will lose maternal protection early (if they didn't receive much colostrum, etc), some will loss protection at a normal time (10-12 weeks), and some will retain protection longer (up to 16 weeks). So the goal of puppy vaccinations is to catch the time frame when the puppy is no longer protected by maternal antibodies from colostrum, but not so late that they have a long period of time when they are not protected by their own immune system.

Otis - the most trusting dog on Earth.

ruff n tumble crew is offline Senior Member

It's not uncommon for us to see 10 wk old unvaccinated pups with parvo at our clinic. In my opinion, it's much better to be safe than sorry. I start vaccines by 7 weeks of age. By the same token, those that start vaccinating at 3-4 weeks of age are only stressing an immature immune system IMO.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

It's the 6 week shot that is usually useless, but doing the shot at 8 weeks is usually a better idea.

labby is offline Senior Member

Doesn't the new vanguard shots override maternal antibodies? I still give the shots at 6 weeks. My pups usually go home between 7 and 8 weeks.

Laura

SweetRuiN is offline Member

So, if my puppy is vaccinated at 6-8wks, and the Vet says they need to do all of those shots over because they're "worthless," I should decline?

MSUlady is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by SweetRuiN
    So, if my puppy is vaccinated at 6-8wks, and the Vet says they need to do all of those shots over because they're "worthless," I should decline?
    No, you need to repeat vaccinations. The reason they're given at multiple time points is that we're not 100% sure when maternal immunity wanes. If your puppy had shots at 6-8wks and they had no maternal antibodies, then they could be ok because their own immune system would have responded to the vaccination. But if they still had maternal antibody interference at that 6-8wk shot, then if you don't repeat vaccination you're essentially leaving the puppy unvaccinated.

Otis - the most trusting dog on Earth.

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by labby
    Doesn't the new vanguard shots override maternal antibodies? I still give the shots at 6 weeks. My pups usually go home between 7 and 8 weeks.
    Not sure about Vanguard but Neopar (parvo vax) and Progard 5 have evidence of overridding maternal antibodies. I give Neopar at 5 wks here as our area is horrendous for parvo and follow up w/ Progard 5 at 7.5 wks and 3-3.5 wk intervals after 2x. Vets in my area put this together ~5 yrs ago after a friend exposed 3 wk old Lab puppies (thru a 7 wk old litter getting CERFs). Every puppy, including this youngest litter) got seriously sick w/ parvo, and 8 pups died. Never believe anyone who says vaccines are worthless before a certain age. It all depends on your exposure and it's not something I risk personally. I've yet to have immune issues either, btw. Better safe than sorry.

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

So we are SURE these shots override maternal antibodies?? I did first shots at 7 weeks to make sure everyone had them before they started going home, to be safe, but I have read alot where people are saying wait until later. I suppose if they are using a brand that doesn't override maternal antibodies, then that makes sense. I said "usually useless at 6 weeks" because I just kept reading more and more about how it's better to wait. But maybe it also matters when the pups leave the home. Some breeders I have talked to hold on to the pups to 10-16 weeks!

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by CYNLABS
    So we are SURE these shots override maternal antibodies?? I did first shots at 7 weeks to make sure everyone had them before they started going home, to be safe, but I have read alot where people are saying wait until later. I suppose if they are using a brand that doesn't override maternal antibodies, then that makes sense. I said "usually useless at 6 weeks" because I just kept reading more and more about how it's better to wait. But maybe it also matters when the pups leave the home. Some breeders I have talked to hold on to the pups to 10-16 weeks!
    There is some good info online about challenge studies done with Progard 5-- full immunity by 12 wks against Parvo. I know I posted it here at one point. The inventor of Neopar is a vet also (just released a new distemper vaccine btw). I think the key w/ both are the strains in the vaccines-- that they offer some cross immunity as well to the other nasty strains that may not be well covered by other manufacturers. I know others use other protocols, some only vaxxing once and then never again, but here in C. WA, we've had some NASTY outbreaks. The vets who have dealt w/ them have told me that where folks have embraced early Neopar vaccine especially, they've seen no further outbreaks (even when the breeder had another litter w/in the year). Another vet whose stud I used last year uses the same protocol despite being in a "kinder" area for parvo... There is no way I'd wait until 8 wks to vaccinate here. Too many strays and low income owners.

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014