Ear care question.

Thread: Ear care question.

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

DefaultEar care question.

I noticed that HK seemed to be annoyed with her right ear today. Tilting her head that way, shaking her head for no apparent reason, rubbing it against the coach. I took a look and didn't see redness, but it seems like it might be dirty. Hard to tell because her ears are hairy with that dark chocolate hair.

I took some of the ear wash our previous vet gave us as a preventative over a year ago. I tried using it once, but HK hated it and decided not to use it as a preventative. She has not had ear problems until today. I flushed it with that stff and tried to clean the inside of the ear, and deep as I could with cotton balls afterward. Certainly a lot of brown stuff coming up on the cotton balls. I got both ears as clean as I could, the left ear was really pretty clean at the start based on the color of the cotton balls.

Okay! Am I doing the right things? Do I need to do more? Should I take her in to the vet Monday, or evet tomorrow, or continue a couple times a day for a few days and watch her behavior with it?
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tia
    Tia is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Ear care question.

Sounds like the same thing my last foster dog was doing. Shaking, scratching the ear, etc. One of his ears was fine and clean, the other one that was bothering him, was super dirty...took a few times to get it clean. The rescue people never had me take him to the vet, but told me to clean his ear, and they also sent me some ear drops to put in a few times a day. After about 3-4 days, his ear cleared up and he stopped scratching and acting like it was bugging him.

Maybe if you don't want to do a vet visit...try calling the vet and just picking up ear drops?

Hope HK's ear feels better!

GulfCoast is offline Senior Member

Google "purple stuff" for the recipie but make it with witch hazel and not alcohol. The alcohol stings their ears. Witch hazel does the same thing without the sting, and if you use it every time they come home from water work, it nukes most common ear problems. EM went from "problem ears" to "no problemo" after we started always using purple stuff or malacetic otic (whatever is on hand, but prefer purple stuff) after all water work.
    HRCH Ellie Mae MH CGC
    Tipsy Puppy
    Justlabradors.com -- the best site for your Labrador needs.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee311/EllieMaeDogg/2108207141_f7321f204b.jpg

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_bacatherine is offline Senior Member

If the one ear was that dirty I would try to clean it out at least 2-3 days until the yuckyness is all gone. If it's not red it's probably not infected yet but probably will get to that point if left alone. Mocha's one ear has been like that the last few days after cleaning it for 2-3 days it's normall fine again for quiet a while.
    If HK is getting in the water I would at least try to dry them after each time if not use a gentle cleaner like the purple stuff. It will help prevent ear infections.
    <br />Barbara, Mocha, Zeus, &amp; Smeagol

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by GulfCoast
    Google "purple stuff" for the recipie but make it with witch hazel and not alcohol...
    No need to do that, here's the recipe. I found this ready made in a local pet supply store, too.

Purple Power Ear Solution
    (aka purple power potion)

16 oz. bottle isopropyl alcohol
    16 drops Gentian Violet Solution
    4 tablespoons Boric Acid Solution

Mix all ingredients in the alcohol bottle & shake. (You may need to pour out a small amount of alcohol so it will all fit.) Be sure and SHAKE WELL before each use to disperse the boric acid. It's easier to put in the dog's ears if you put some in a small squirt bottle.

Treatment: Flood ear with solution & massage gently for 60 seconds and wipe with a tissue. Flood a second time and just wipe without massaging. The dog will shake the excess out. The Gentian Violet isn't supposed to stain, but be careful.
    Schedule of treatment:
    2 times per day for the first 2 weeks
    1 time per day for the next 2 weeks
    1 time per month thereafter

All ingredients are available at a pharmacy. Even despite the alcohol, dogs don't object to even the first treatment. The Boric Acid soothes the ear & the Gentian Violet is an anti-infection agent (where babies get their purple belly buttons from!!) The solution works well on any ear problem from mites to wax to canker. This solution is also effective for the treatment of fungus type infections on the feet & elsewhere on the dog, for cuts on dogs or people, and for hot spots.
    For EXTERNAL use only. Avoid getting in eyes.

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

And for those afraid that the gentian violet will stain, and it will... substitute an equal amount of tea tree oil instead and it works great. If I notice any of the dogs fussing with their ears, I just rinse them with the solution, and it normally is fine the next day.