i've never had puppy do this
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: i've never had puppy do this

doglover12 Guest

Defaulti've never had puppy do this

Hi all the puppies i've owned have always eatten there meals my 8 week old female black lab yes still no name yet gets feed 3 times a day. In the morning she gets half a cup of supercoat puppy biscuits and half cup of beef mince, lunch she gets the same but with chicken mince, then the same at night but with beef. The vet doesn't want me to feed bones right now as she had soft stools,which have gone firm now The soft stools were caused by stress cause of new enviroment,owner. Would it be alright to introduce bones back into her diet? she was getting a wing or 3 chicken necks for lunch with the lady i got her from. She wasn't interested in eatting her dinner tonight at all, Could she be getting sick on eatting what i am feeding her?. If i can introduce the bones back into her diet she will be getting supercoat puppy biscuits with beef mince in morning, Lunch a chicken wing,Then dinner the same as morning feed. Or would she be fine with 2 meals a day? instand of 3, Could it be possible i'm feeding her too much?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

sarah is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: i've never had puppy do this

Our Milly is 6 months old and for her weight she gets 3 cups of dry food per day. It's around 900 calories... you should work out how many calories your puppy needs per day and work out how many calories you are currently feeding her, that will tell you instantly if you are over-feeding.

Also, when Milly gets raw bones we never feed them to her with Kibble as dogs digest dry food and raw food differently so some puppies have problems with this. If you want to feed something to your puppy with the raw meat I would suggest a small amount of cooked rice and keep the dry food together as one meal.

Just my opinion... Milly had soft stools until we made this change for her so it worked for us.
    Sarah & Milly - Sydney Australia

doglover12 Guest

My girl only weighs right now 6.2kgs. I wouldn't know how much calories she will need or how much calories she is getting. I put my food in storage contaniers so i no longer have the bags the food came in. Maybe i should cut back some of her feed like half what i've been giving her now. Wander if the name Dottie will suit her as she has a dot of white on her chest. What does everyone think does Dottie seem to suit her?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

sarah is offline Senior Member

I think you said that you feed her supercoat?

http://www.supercoat.com.au/dogs-lifecycle-Puppy.aspx

this link shows that there are 342Kcal per 100grams in Supercoat Puppy. There are 230grams per 1 metric cup. So that means you are feeding her about 770 kcal per cup not including the raw food she is getting.

I also know that one chicken neck equals around 80 calories and a chicken wing is around 95 calories and half a cup of chicken mince is 55 calories. When Milly was the same age as your puppy we fed her 1 chicken neck and a small amount of rice in the morning (about 1/4 cup) and then 1/2 cup of kibble at lunch and then 1/2 cup of kibble at dinner, but her kibble was different to what you are feeding so the caloric contain was probably different. Now she gets 1 cup of kibble in the morning (or 3 chicken wings depending on the day) and then 2 cups of kibble at night time. We could actually feed her an extra 1/2 cup of kibble for her current weight but with all her treats etc during the day it's not necessary.

Dotti is a really cute name! You could call her Dot for short if you wanted too.
    Sarah & Milly - Sydney Australia

Trickster is offline Senior Member

I would make a decision to feed all raw or all dry food. Theoretically you can feed a mixture of raw and kibble (but not at the same time) but I would not recommend this for an 8-week-old puppy. Puppies do not have the iron resistance like adult dogs do and raw and kibble are digested at very different rates. A combination of these is likely to cause a stomach upset. Also, if your puppy is a naturally fussy eater, if you give her a choice of kibble or beef/chicken mince, she is going to pick the beef/chicken mince.

If you decide to feed all raw, make sure you do your research and ideally have someone to mentor you through the process. Feeding a puppy raw is different than feeding an adult dog raw as overfeeding calcium is a concern in growing puppies.

If you put her on all kibble, cut out all the extras for the time being. The addition of extras to her kibble will encourage fussy eating. Feel free to add them when she is older though.

doglover12 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Trickster
    I would make a decision to feed all raw or all dry food. Theoretically you can feed a mixture of raw and kibble (but not at the same time) but I would not recommend this for an 8-week-old puppy. Puppies do not have the iron resistance like adult dogs do and raw and kibble are digested at very different rates. A combination of these is likely to cause a stomach upset. Also, if your puppy is a naturally fussy eater, if you give her a choice of kibble or beef/chicken mince, she is going to pick the beef/chicken mince.

If you decide to feed all raw, make sure you do your research and ideally have someone to mentor you through the process. Feeding a puppy raw is different than feeding an adult dog raw as overfeeding calcium is a concern in growing puppies.

If you put her on all kibble, cut out all the extras for the time being. The addition of extras to her kibble will encourage fussy eating. Feel free to add them when she is older though.
    Thanks the person i got her from was doing the same as i'm doing shes been feed dry food mixed with minced food since she was young. She is quite fussy she will not eat dry dog food unless it is mixed with minced meat. The person also said she wouldn't touch dry food unless mixed with minced meat. She even tryed starving her for a day and still she would not touch dry food on its own. So i'm not sure what to do i do not want to starve her and i do not want to cut out dry food.

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Thanks the person i got her from was doing the same as i'm doing shes been feed dry food mixed with minced food since she was young. She is quite fussy she will not eat dry dog food unless it is mixed with minced meat. The person also said she wouldn't touch dry food unless mixed with minced meat. She even tryed starving her for a day and still she would not touch dry food on its own. So i'm not sure what to do i do not want to starve her and i do not want to cut out dry food.
    Well, if you want to mix meat into her dry food for the rest of her life, that is totally up to you. Plenty of dogs do well on a mix of dry and wet foods. I'd probably mix the two for my dogs but the cost is an issue -- high quality wet dog food or meat is expensive. So, the addition of wet food to their kibble is the occasional treat for my dogs.

If you want her off the meat, you have to play tough love even if that means her protesting and not eating for a day. You simply put the kibble down for 15 minutes at each meal time and pick it up after that set time period. Then regardless of whether she eats it or not, she gets nothing until her next meal. A healthy dog will not starve itself.

What you can do to make dry kibble more appealing is add warm water and let it sit for a few minutes. That will make the kibble softer and more gravy like and it will also bring out the smell.

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Just make sure that you're not feeding raw meat and kibble in the same meal. Due to the differing digestion rates, that can make them sick.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

sandownmal is offline Junior Member

Hi All, Of course Doglovers pup was spoiled as per eating habits from the very start by the breeder,and must be changed little by little back to a balanced diet.
    As I read various sites,it amazes me that there are not more dogs that develop CHD.
    It is critical for pups to have a balanced diet with most important Ca/P ratio of 1.3:1 (in the case of Supercoat puppy).
    What does nearly every new pup owner do?? All with good intentions mind you-wanting to do best for their loved pet-they feed extras! It seems to be an addictive human nature!
    Go check what the Ca/P ratio is of meat for instance.I will tell you it is 1:20 or worse!
    So.....what then is the Ca/P ratio of the total intake? Of course drastically high in Phosphorus,and the body tries to balance this.
    But where does the Calcium come from? Only one place is possible to get the extras folks-It is leeched from the bones themselves!
    You then have a growing body mass carried on an ever weakening skeletal structure.
    CHD.
    If you think CHD is genetically caused-perhaps you have been told by 'experts'?-Think again. There is to this day NO scientific proof of a genetic link despite a heap of research.
    In fact research/trials-and there are thousands-of parent dogs with good hip scores-3 generations even, and still produce dysplastic pups-is proof to me of the opposite.
    Certainly-my experience breeding and rearing large numbers of large breed pups over 50 years now-without ever having ONE problem is my proof period.I am not that 'lucky',I have always fed balanced diets,that incidentally came into accepted use around the 1960's. Before that CHD was rare! Go figure.
    So,I would advise you all to think about this and do your own research-you probably don't believe what I say.
    Doglover-gradually wean your dog to a straight balanced dry food diet.It will not only save you heaps of time and money,it may save your dog from CHD.
    Peter

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Peter - welcome - but please try to offer advice on current posts and not 3 year old posts. Doglover is not even a member anymore.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast