Homemade dog food?

Thread: Homemade dog food?

Mooselady is offline Senior Member

DefaultHomemade dog food?

Do any of you make your own dog food - I am not interested in feeding raw but as I am exploring dog foods am wondering about making my own. Any suggestions for recipes or web sites?
    <br /><br /><br />&quot;Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our life whole.&quot;&nbsp; Roger Caras

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Labs4me is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Homemade dog food?

Bonnie ~ Ellsworth Labradors
    Home to Ellsworth's Playing For Keeps CGC, U-CH SHR Ellsorth's Absolut Pleasure, Ellsworth's Good Luck Charm
    Gone but not forgotten: Franklin's Lucy of Ellsworth; Franklin's Rare Treat; U-CD Franklin's Rockin' Robin CDX, WC, CGC; Alpha-Omega's Mustang Salli CDX, CGC

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Here's a good website: http://www.balanceit.com/
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_queenofthedogs is offline Senior Member

just my .02: reputable dog food manufacturers spent Billions testing their foods, both in the lab and on real dogs, to be sure they are good for the long haul....there is a lot of competition in that marketplace, and it works to our advantage! for example, Purina research folks were responsible for finding out, not so long ago, that older dogs need More, not less protein in their diets to stay healthy. this is something no one person, with just a few dogs, could have accomplished, and it benefits us all.
    i personally feel i have neither the time, knowledge, resources, or facilities to be sure that what i could cook up in my kitchen, with food from the supermarket [and we've all heard horror stories about THAT!] is going to be superior, or even as good as, what any reputable company spends years and $$$$$ to research & produce. worse, you will not know if you have given your dog a deficient diet for a really long time, when the damage may be permanent.

brody is offline Senior Member

I do home cook for one of my dogs - so all my dogs benefit from getting some additives

If I could feed dog food I would...however Sally is 'spesul' and more then about 15 pieces of kibbles a day causes GI upset at best and complete breakdown at worst
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

henrysmom is offline Senior Member

I homecook for Henry as well, due to his awful GI issues and his allergies. Is it a lot of work? Sure, but no more than feeding raw (which I have done in the past). I feel good knowing exactly where every ingredient comes from (I only buy local and organic) that he's eating. It helps appease my type-A personality.

However, I'm doing mine under the strict supervision of both our holistic vet and our conventional vet. Our holistic vet not only formulated the diet to be completely balanced, but it also addresses his health issues.

If I could find a dog food that Henry did well on, I sure would feed it... but he's 5 and I haven't yet.

Gorsebrook Jackson Triggs, CD, RN, WC, CGN<br />Kelrobin A Twist of Fate<br /><br />

brody is offline Senior Member

I'll echo HM's comment - Sally's diet was built by a nutrionist working in conjunction with my vet and Sally has 6 month check ups

If Sally wasn't a puppy I probably would feel better about the diet but I really do worry about long term implications

like HM I don't mind the work and actually LIKE knowing exactly what is on each meal (in our case chicken sweet potato and wayy more supplements then I'd like)

http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

I'll echo henry's mom and conrad, I homecook for one of my cats, and it is a strict diet formulated by our holistic vet. No substitutions allowed. But then, she also has pancreatitis and allergies to be considered. If it weren't for those I don't think I'd be nearly as anal about what she eats.

I also feed my dogs raw, and the homecooking stuff is SO MUCH more work. Although to be fair, most of the work is because I have to cut up the beef heart into itty-bitty kitty sized pieces. :whatever:
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Tia
    Tia is offline Senior Member

I agree with Kate. For me, homecooking is MUCH more work than feeding raw. I am doing this now with Gauge as we are working on his GI issues as well. I really hope in the near future I can transition him back to raw as I miss feeding it and know the nutritional benefits of it.

My recipe is fairly simple...Gauge is on 95% mix of cooked ground beef, beef heart, liver, and 5% veggies...along with some kelp and vitiman mix/minerals and bone meal powder. Although, recently I've been throwing different proteins into the mix starting with chicken and fish to see how he does. Once we get a variety going quite nicely without any issues...raw here we come! FYI, his homecooked diet is also under the supervision of a holistic vet.

My disagreement with queenofthedogs...you also have to remember that pet food companies are a business and will cut whatever they can get away with to produce more. There have been recalls in the pet food industry no doubt...especially with the most recent one with Taste of the Wild, which is a good quality kibble. And a lot of the "fear" of a "balanced" diet comes from the pet food industry not wanting the public to think that they are capable of making food for their dog. In my opinion, if you can learn how to feed your kids and get proper nutrition to them, dogs are pretty easy. People don't get their exact percentage of daily vitimans/minerals from every meal they eat and dogs don't need to either. But I agree that it does take time to learn a dogs nutritional requirements.

imported_queenofthedogs is offline Senior Member

i guess i should clarify--if you have a dog with allergy or any other nutrition-related problem, i think it is incumbent upon you to do whatever is necessary for the dog...if this involves nutritional research,and making your own food, well, i would be right there with ya if i faced any such problems.
    i think it is important, indeed imperative, to get some guidance if you do go that route, for whatever reason...after all, even the concept of 'vitamins & minerals' isn't all that old. [remember scurvy & rickets?--less than 2 generations ago a scourge of mankind] and i believe there is much more to be learned.
    however, if you have a dog that is NOT having problems, and there is a chance you could cause one, however well-intentioned you might be, well......why?
    there is also a school of thought [and i am unsure about this] that says the more things you expose a dog to, the MORE likely he/she is to develop a reaction.
    and of course, buying ingredients, even ones labeled 'organic', is not 100% foolproof...wasn't that stuff that got recalled lately 'organic'? they bought 'organic', and look where it got them. plus there have been plenty of instances where all types of food were labeled wrong, or very very old, or mishandled in shipping, and sickened/killed people.
    you as an individual buyer MUST trust what is on a food label, you don't have the means/opportunity/facilities to do testing of the ingredients you find, which most large, reputable food manufacturers [human or canine] routinely do.
    i certainly don't dispute that ALL manufacturers of ANYTHING try to make the biggest profit they can--i.e. use the 'lowest bidder'. that applies to your car brakes, for example, but you still drive your car. however, the bigger ones WANT to keep on keepin' on, and indeed surpass the competition, so IMO that is a pretty powerful motive to make a good product--ANY product.