Fraser has the runs - possibly new food?

Thread: Fraser has the runs - possibly new food?

sticks1977 is offline Member

DefaultFraser has the runs - possibly new food?

I have recently switched Fraser over to a new dry food as he turned 1 on the 29th May and thought I could try him on something more beneficial and more healthy. I did some research before hand and have settled on Eagle Pack Holistic Large Breed Puppy.

He has previously been on Hill's Science Diet Puppy Large Breed with some Hill's Science Diet Chicken Entree wet food thrown in for his evening meal (used to give him only dry food in the morning). After some consultation with the local pet food store they informed me to ditch the wet food and keep him on dry...

So far I have been giving him about 15-20% of the new dry food mixed in with the Hill's. I was out doing "poo patrol" on Monday and noticed Fraser was about to give me another one to pick-up. It appeared runny but they were still in stool form (not liquid), it seemed he had some more to come and the next 'deposit' was runny and did not look all that healthy...

I rang the Vet as he required his annual vaccination and also took the stool samples with me (the first that looked rather solid, but was still very soft, and the second that was very runny). The Vet mentioned that there was no muekas (spelling?) or blood in his stools but asked if I wanted it sent to the lab for testing - even though it cost a little I thought it would be best to be on the safe side...

My main concerns now though are he has had the runs still yesterday when I patrolled the backyard again, it is only a select few that appear runny and the others are in solid form (yet still a little soft in regards to hardness). When we went to the Vet, he didn't seem to be too bothered that it was runny and said that he looks to be in perfect health. He also mentioned it would be a process of elimination if he is still having the runs - first to rule out was infection (hence why the sample was sent off to the laboratory).

With the new food that I have him on (Eagle Pack) would this be causing the diarrhea? I am gradually introducing it into his diet, the first time he had it for his morning meal he vomited some of it back up again (possibly because he hoofs his food down in record time) but since then, has not had any problems keeping his food down.

The only other food that Fraser gets on a daily basis is a smoked lamb bone during the day and the odd treat or two when we are training him or he has been in good behaviour to warrant a food reward.

Any input would be appreciated - at the moment I am in two minds whether to take another sample to another vet and get a second opinion, or wait until the results return from the lab this week, whether to switch him to a different food, or whether it is the Hill's dry food that is causing this problem?

Thanks for reading, and will look forward to reading some replies in the coming days - shall also keep those of you interested informed on the lab results that I should receive by Friday...

Regards, Shaun (Sticks1977)

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Fraser has the runs - possibly new food?

I heard from the Vet today and he had the results back from the laboratory with the tests done on Frasers poo. All results came back clear so there is no infection or medical problem relating to the diorrhea. Since he has been to the Vet his poo has been much more solid and I am yet to pick-up a sloppy one yet...

He is coming into Day 5 of his switch and I will up his Eagle Pack food to 30-40% of his meals and make up the rest with the Hill's Science Diet. Just tonight we left the back room open (where we store his food) and he headed in there and tipped the bag over that contains his Eagle Pack food - he ate a little just before I caught him so I figure he must like it...

Dani is offline Senior Member

well, first, I would get him off of puppy food. He's one so you don't need for him to be on puppy. Second, I'd say a couple of things can be going on. 1.) You're over feeding him. You can't feed the same amount of eagle as you can science diet. Eagle is denser calorically and will cause loose stools. 2.) The vaccines could have caused diareha. It happens. Get the adult version and watch how much you feed.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the reply Dani, I was not sure whether he should still be on puppy food or be switched onto an adult based diet, the Eagle Pack puppy range stated from when they were young until 18 months - I may contact the store that I purchased it from and ask if I am able to switch over to an adult dry food for him, there also seems to be more range in regards to flavours when he is able to have adult food.

Shall keep those of you interested in his progress and what I am able to do in regards to switching his food...