Puppies in my house....help! (pictures)

Thread: Puppies in my house....help! (pictures)

DefaultPuppies in my house....help! (pictures)

My sister had to leave the country due to work and her Lab had just given birth to 3 beautiful puppies (2 black one Chocolate). So being the good brother I am, I took the 3 puppies and Lola(Dam's name) into my house. They are currently 5 weeks old. I also have a chocolate Lab of my own who is 6 months old, so as you can imagine a house with 4 pups and an adult Lab can be a hassle. Luckily Lola is sweet and lets Potito (6 month old) to play with the pups with out a complaint.
    I have a set of questions becuase I am relatively new in dealing with such young pups.

1. Is it normal for the mom to eat their feces? She eats them before I get a chance to clean them.
    2. Until when should they breast feed, and when should I give dry puppy food.
    3. What questions and things should I look for in prospective homes for the puppies.
    4. When can they leave their mother.

Thank you for your help!

Attached Images Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Puppies in my house....help! (pictures)

My suggestion is to do a Google on Puppy care. The pups should be getting fed several times a day by now. Mom normally stops eating the poo after you start on solid food but I've seen exceptions. If you want ideas on how a typical litter here is raised, go to my website at www.windycanyonlabs.com and click on Nursery, and read the diary links there.

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

imported_Canula2000 is offline Senior Member

Pups should be eating wet puppy food as well as some nursing right now...mom dog will be weaning them soon. Also, pups will be ready for new homes at 8 weeks old.
    <br />Dogs&#39; lives are too short.&nbsp; Their only fault, really.&nbsp; ~Agnes Sligh Turnbull

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the info, just thought I should make it clear that this was no irresponsible breeding, both Sire and Dam are national (Ecuador) championship show dogs, most recently winning best in show and best opposite sex.
    It is just that I have never cared for so many dogs at the same time and I just want to make sure they are all in the best possible environment. It is my goal to place these dogs in the optimum house where they will be loved and cared for as true members of the family.

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

Hello,
    I hope you don't mind, I'm going to cross-post this for you in Lab Chat. It will probably get more attention and you'll get more advice.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

1) Yes, mom's often eat the feces. They will usually stop once you put the pups on real food.
    2) By now the pups should be on mostly puppy food. I had 11 and started them at 2 1/2 weeks with 1 meal daily and then mom's milk. By 6 weeks they were on 4 meals a day, and rarely on mom. You can soak puppy kibble with either water or goats milk. Estimate about 1/2 c per puppy right now until you can see how much they are eating. At this age, you'll be wanting to get them on 3-4 meals of puppy kibble.
    3 & 4) Are you really going to be responsible for selling the pups? How long will your sister be out of the country? Many breeders hold on to pups to 10-14 weeks, though commonly they are sold at 8 weeks. It's hard to say how to screen buyers in your area. If the parents are winning dogs, perhaps the pups need to be evaluated for possible show pups. If your sister only meant for them to be pets, you should check with her to see if she had any inquiries before she left. Are there dog clubs she is involved with that could forward you referrals?

Dani is offline Senior Member

At 5 weeks they really don't need to be nursing that much. They should be on food that is puppy mush...basically puppy food ground up with water added to it to make slop. They can eat that 4 times a day and you should be limiting their nursing at this point and help mom dry up.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003