liqui-poops...time for the vet yet?

Thread: liqui-poops...time for the vet yet?

hikingchick is offline Member

Defaultliqui-poops...time for the vet yet?

Long story. Leonidas has had drippy poos for about a week. For the first time in a while he wakes me up to go to bathroom at night too and he even had it in his crate which is REALLY unlike him. He was just at the vet last week for his check up where he got dewormed, vaccinated, and tested for parasites and worms in general. All clear there. However we slowly switched his food from a lower quality to a higher quality (Blue Buffalo for large breed puppy) ove the past week so I am not quite sure what to think. Other than the liqui-poop he is otherwise his normal self, eating well and doing just fine. But should I take him back to the vet? Is it the new food? Other thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Labsrme is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: liqui-poops...time for the vet yet?

Did you decrease the amount of food you feed when you switched to a higher quality food? Dogs will often get diarrhea after such a switch because you are feeding too much. Higher quality food is more dense and you should feed less of it. I would decrease the food amount and if you don't get any relief quickly I would look into a different food altogether. Also, you could try feeding either boiled chicken and rice or browned hamburger and rice for about 24 hours to see if you can get the diarrhea under control.

Edited to add - is this a puppy? If so, you need to be very careful about letting diarrhea go on for any length of time. You may well need to take him to the vet. My advice stated above is just what I do when one of my dogs gets an upset stomach after a food change.

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

I say it's the food!

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

Could be the food if you made the changeover too fast, or coccidia that they didn't catch last week. Or giardia. Time for the vet imo.

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

just a quick update: I took the advice of feeding less more often. We went from 3 meals a day to 4 smaller ones to avoid overeating, and it is working! Have poops have been looking much better. Goodness, between a toddler and a puppy it would seem my life revolves around poo! He's sees the vet soon anyway though but I think we found the problem.

imported_queenofthedogs is offline Senior Member

just as general guidelines:

1. when you change to a new food, do it over at least 10 days, better would be 2 weeks.

2. when a dog has an upset stomach, if he/she seems happy, healthy, and is drinkling a normal amount, you can pretty safely just change to PLAIN rice & chicken, [and no 'other' treats] for at least 4 days, or until poop is normal for 48 hours, then add back the 'old' food as if it were a new food, as in #1, above.

3. if the dog looks mopey/sick, especially if he/she stops drinking, it is an EMERGENCY and you need to take action ASAP.

VTEnviro is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by birdbrainz
    Could be the food if you made the changeover too fast, or coccidia that they didn't catch last week. Or giardia. Time for the vet imo.
    Our pup had coccidia. He had mucousy diarrhea the first few days we got him, but acted normally. We figured stress + new diet.

One morning though, he was lethargic, had no appetite, and his tummy made these awful noises. It was straight to the vet then.

another update, leonidas has a clean bill of health and his poops look perfect. he's a very happy healthy labby lab!