Dry dog food advice

Thread: Dry dog food advice

Mooselady is offline Senior Member

DefaultDry dog food advice

Didn't want to hijack the other posts on dog food brands.....How did you decide on what brand to feed your Labs? Currently Tugg is eating Nutro Large Breed and Skye also on Nutro but the low calorie version. I don't mind the price but wonder if there is something better for them.
    <br /><br /><br />&quot;Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our life whole.&quot;&nbsp; Roger Caras

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Dry dog food advice

I think you just go with what works, luckily Sammi does really well on Diamond natural chicken and rice. I have tried to change her twice, once to something that was suppose to be a "higher" quality and she didn't do well on it at all. The other time I tried her on the Kirkland brand, which is suppose to be the same as the diamond, not sure what the problem was, but she had very loose stools on it even with a slow switch! So now I live with the well known motto "if it works don't fix it"! Good luck- Di

justine is offline Senior Member

My two are on Taste of The Wild (the salmon variety). Abbey was on Evo Red Meat (about $60/bag) and it didn't work so well for her, so I switched to TOTW. So far, so good! It's about $33 for the big bag and they are small dogs (about 45lbs each), so they only get 3/4 cup twice a day. They both had kind of loose stools before we switched, but now things are looking much firmer and their coats have never looked better! Allergies have also decreased quite a bit, as well.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

How did you decide on what brand to feed your Labs?
    I looked at the ingredients list

Puff does well on Kirkland C&R (similar to "Diamond Naturals", made by the same company). Kirkland is sold only at Costco warehouse member clubs. It has no corn or wheat.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

tkpaul is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mooselady
    How did you decide on what brand to feed your Labs?
    1) I found out what was available in my area.
    2) I compared ingredients and researched on-line.
    3) Started with what I thought would work and my dogs would like. Trial & Error from there.

My dogs work out everyday, sometimes twice if the weather is cool enough and my boys don't have baseball games. I'm talking about heavy training. TT work was about 25-30 bumpers at 200 yds or so a bumper. 20 marks of 100-200 yds. That much swimming if its hot outside. I found the highest kcal food I could that had an ingredient list I could live with. Ended up with Diamond Naturals Extreme Athlete. Both my dogs are about 63-65 lbs. They get 1.5 cups a.m. and 1.5 cups p.m. Stay in great shape.

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

I look at the ingredients. I stay away from corn, soy, wheat, sorghum, by products. I want a specific protein source, not meat or poultry meal.

I prefer chicken based food and want chicken meal as the first ingredient and another chicken source again as 2nd, 3rd, or 4th ingredients. As few fillers as possible.

Right now my dogs are on Instinct grain free - I chose grain free because of problems during the dog food recall and have stayed with it ever since.

Tinat1 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by kal3idoscope
    My two are on Taste of The Wild (the salmon variety). Abbey was on Evo Red Meat (about $60/bag) and it didn't work so well for her, so I switched to TOTW. So far, so good! It's about $33 for the big bag and they are small dogs (about 45lbs each), so they only get 3/4 cup twice a day. They both had kind of loose stools before we switched, but now things are looking much firmer and their coats have never looked better! Allergies have also decreased quite a bit, as well.
    If you don't mine me asking....where do you get your TOTW at that price? I paid 42.99 for 30lb bag!

Shane23 is offline Senior Member

Shane was started on Canidae All Life Stages by his breeder and I've continued with it. I saw no reason to switch, since he has been doing fine on it. I think a 40 lb. bag costs me about $34 or $38, I'm not sure, after the 12 bag purchase I get a free 40 lb. bag.

What works well for one dog, may not work well for another. So when you find a good quality food you can afford and it works well for your dog, stick with it.
    Laura

Summerlin's Inspired by Armani CD (Shane)

Jackie is offline Senior Member

Unlike most labs, Piper is very picky about her food and will go on a full-out hunger strike if offered something she doesn't want to eat. So I went to the local pet food store, picked up about ten sample bags of foods, and offered them to her. The only one she would eat was Taste of the Wild's Bison formula so that was what we went with.

We've now switched to raw, and she loves that so much she never even thinks about refusing anything, so that is what we'll stick with!