trying new food...not going well :(

Thread: trying new food...not going well :(

guinnysmom is offline Senior Member

Defaulttrying new food...not going well :(

Guinness (19 mos.) was on Chicken Soup for the Dog Lovers soul adult formula for a number of months. Unfortunately the store where I was buying it became unreliable and we had a really hard time getting his food. The problem is this is the only store within a decent distance of our home where I could find this particular brand. We then went to a different store and tried Nutro...Guinness did okay with it other than some really smelly poops and bad breath. I went to dog food analysis and discovered I hadn't made the best choice. I then decided on Performatrin Ultra. It is the store brand of Pet Valu (Canada) and got good reviews on dog food analysis and was easy to get (2 stores in our town with decent hours of operation) He has been on this for 2 days and we now have really loose stools and gas :scare: and he doesn't seem to feel well (vomited breakfast today as well). I didn't do a slow switch as in the past with switches there has never been a problem. How long should I wait it out? I am going to give him some rice with his lunch and dinner today to try to settle his tummy a bit, but I feel so bad for the guy! Ideas and suggestions greatly appreciated!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: trying new food...not going well :(

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

You still feed 3 meals a day at 1-1/2 years? You can really cut that back to 2, that's all they need.

I just put my 3 on California Natural and Macy has been throwing up after every meal since. Before that, we were on Purina One Natural Blends which I can get in any grocery store. Many will turn their nose up at this food but it worked fabulously for us. The only reason I switched was because Mace had bad breath. I went back to the Purina lastnight.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

guinnysmom is offline Senior Member

We do still feed 3 small meals a day...it seems to work for us. Sometimes when we are away, we go down to two but for the most part someone is home everyday at lunch so Guinness gets lunch as well. I figure it can't really hurt to have smaller meals spread out.
    His poop was soft last night, but seems to have firmed up this morning so we are going to wait it out for a couple more days. He hasn't had any more vomiting episodes, and still has plenty of energy. Maybe he just needs time to adjust?

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

The vomitting would worry me more than loose stools.

Have you checked the expiration date on the bag? Does it smell okay or rancid?

I see nothing wrong with feeding 3 meals a day if that schedule works for you.

Have you compared the calories of new food to old to be sure you are not over feeding? Over feeding can cause loose stools.