Surgery Advice.....please

Thread: Surgery Advice.....please

Tinat1 is offline Senior Member

DefaultSurgery Advice.....please

I took my 8 year old to the vet yesterday because she has a pretty good size fat knot under her right front leg. She also has been limping on it.
    The vet said she needed to cut it open and get the fat out. Is this a very big surgery? She is soooo very terrified of the vet and I know this is really going to shake her up.
    The vet said this was probably not why she was limping and is going to do x-rays while she is under. I hope I'm doing the right thing :scare:
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

talleyJudy is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Surgery Advice.....please

Quote Originally Posted by tinat1
    I hope I'm doing the right thing :scare:
    I hope so too.

When is she scheduled for surgery by your 'home' vet?

If you live within driving distance of a University that has a "Vet School" you might consider having her seen at the Univ. vet school for "a second opinion" and diagnostic evaluation and any surgery they might recommend....

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." author Will Rogers

Auggie 12/29/95 ~ 01/15/09

Just 4 days to surgery....I still would like to know if any of you has had this done before.....
    Attached Images Attached Images

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

henrysmom is offline Senior Member

Henry has had a lipoma removed from his belly. The surgery was very straight forward, and he was home that afternoon. The hardest part was keeping the incision dry (it was in the winter!).

Gorsebrook Jackson Triggs, CD, RN, WC, CGN<br />Kelrobin A Twist of Fate<br /><br />

Labs4me is offline Senior Member

Why couldn't the vet aspirate the lump first to see if there is anything abnormal / cancerous? If it is just a fatty limpoma and is not causing the limping or any pain I would leave it alone. My dear old chocolate girl had one in her arpit for years, she later developed others on her belly. My vet did aspirations first, to see what they were. Also, why not take the x-rays before surgery? I have not had to have any of my dogs sedated for general x-rays.
    Bonnie ~ Ellsworth Labradors
    Home to Ellsworth's Playing For Keeps CGC, U-CH SHR Ellsorth's Absolut Pleasure, Ellsworth's Good Luck Charm
    Gone but not forgotten: Franklin's Lucy of Ellsworth; Franklin's Rare Treat; U-CD Franklin's Rockin' Robin CDX, WC, CGC; Alpha-Omega's Mustang Salli CDX, CGC

I think she has to sedate Sandy because she is extremly nervous at the vets. She said to get a good x-ray of the arm and shoulder she has to be really still.
    If I only knew if it was causing the limping or not I would not have surgery!

Just called and cancelled until next week :suspious:
    Gotta know more.

P.S Has this thing gotten larger??????

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

A friend had a similar lump on her OES (old eng sheepdog). It was a minor surgery but yes, it was causing enough irritation to affect her gate so surgery was necessary. If you don't trust your vet, find another vet.

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014