do i protect her from kennel cough before i go away?

Thread: do i protect her from kennel cough before i go away?

baby belle is offline Senior Member

Defaultdo i protect her from kennel cough before i go away?

I am going away for 4 days in a couple of weeks. Do i have to do the kennel cough preventative before taking her to the kennel? She is up to date on all her shots and not due to go back until she turns a year old. SHe is now 7 months old..

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

henrysmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: do i protect her from kennel cough before i go away?

Most kennels won't board without bordetella, and bear in mind that it normally takes about 4-7 days for the vaccine (either IM or intranasal) to become effective, so you'll need to vaccinate her at least a week before you board her.

Best to check with your particular boarding kennel to see what they require.

Gorsebrook Jackson Triggs, CD, RN, WC, CGN<br />Kelrobin A Twist of Fate<br /><br />

imported_bacatherine is offline Senior Member

Most places require a current Bordetella (kennel cough) vaccine before they will board them so I would check with the kennel for sure. Some say the vaccine only lasts 6 months and some say it lasts a year so I would also ask if she had one as a puppy if they will accept that. As henreysmom said it takes 4-7 days to be effective so if your leaving in 4 days it won't help much but you may still have to get it.
    <br />Barbara, Mocha, Zeus, &amp; Smeagol

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_queenofthedogs is offline Senior Member

if your chosen kennel does not Require written proof of current vaccinations, including bordatella, RUN, do not walk away...because if they aren't requiring it from you, they aren't requiring it for anyone!!!
    the few times we boarded ours, we were lucky all but once to have our vet do it....when i called commercial places the one time, i was shocked & appalled that only one of the 4 places made it clear they needed written proof of current 'everything'...which of course is the place i chose, the rest weren't even considered.

baby belle is offline Senior Member

Ok thanks i'll give them a call.