Hind leg weakness in 9 yr female lab

Thread: Hind leg weakness in 9 yr female lab

mailsarkar is offline Junior Member

DefaultHind leg weakness in 9 yr female lab

Hi all,

My pet labrador, Cleo is nine years old this year, and till recently has been of a very cheery disposition. Last month though, she started a very heavy bout of menstrual bleeding that continued much longer than usual. She started to get very weak and there was a stage where she was barely able to get up. Now, although most the cycle is over (she still sheds some blood clots sometimes), I am noticing that she has difficulty in getting up on her hind legs. She is also losing appetite over the last two days. Her urine and stool are regular so far, but she no longer likes to walk like before and I've found her sitting up awake at night. On our vets advice, we put her on a supplement of Megaflex (calcium supplement). Could any of you please help from your experience? I am really worried.

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_queenofthedogs is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Hind leg weakness in 9 yr female lab

have you had any bloodwork done? she may have had/still have a uterine infection ...what you describe does NOT sound normal to me, especially the 'blood clot' thing.

krisinme is offline Senior Member

I agree she needs more test. Because of the blood clot thing you might consider finding a good Repro vet to check her over. She might have Pyo or something Better to be safe than sorry.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by mailsarkar
    Hi all,

My pet labrador, Cleo is nine years old this year, and till recently has been of a very cheery disposition. Last month though, she started a very heavy bout of menstrual bleeding that continued much longer than usual. She started to get very weak and there was a stage where she was barely able to get up. Now, although most the cycle is over (she still sheds some blood clots sometimes), I am noticing that she has difficulty in getting up on her hind legs. She is also losing appetite over the last two days. Her urine and stool are regular so far, but she no longer likes to walk like before and I've found her sitting up awake at night. On our vets advice, we put her on a supplement of Megaflex (calcium supplement). Could any of you please help from your experience? I am really worried.

Thanks
    I'd run to the vet! Why is she not spayed at 9 years old??? Pyometra comes to mind, which is why I like to have mine spayed by ~6 or as soon as I'm done breeding. Is she running a temperature? Pyo is very serious stuff.....

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

MSUlady is offline Senior Member

Get thee to the vet! A full physical exam and bloodwork are warranted in this case.

Otis - the most trusting dog on Earth.