Rabies, Food, Flea Preventative & Heart meds?!?!?!

Thread: Rabies, Food, Flea Preventative & Heart meds?!?!?!

My Lil Lab Kaycie is offline Senior Member

DefaultRabies, Food, Flea Preventative & Heart meds?!?!?!

Well, we are moving again (I think we're going to stay more than 6 months in this "new town" ha ha, his work is :surprise: demanding)....We are concerned about the best Flea Preventative, as well as Heart Worm medicine. We're going to the vet next Monday (Kaycie says= :no to get check ups, and ask about a recommendation for a vet in our new town. That's the one thing I hate about leaving home around here at my folks....no matter where we lived, even if it was 6 hrs away, I've still driven back home to use the "family vet".

So my questions are these:

1) What kind of flea preventative are you currently giving your dog? How does it work for you?------We have been on Frontline Plus, and Heartguard.....I just would like to make sure I'm making the right "choice" when I drop $200 bucks in meds lol

2) Do your dogs get a rabies shot EVERY YEAR? I've heard of complications...but as of now I'm not swayed either way. What is your take on having your dog vaccinated every year?

3) I'm concerned about her weight. She was fixed in November of last year, and I've become concerned. I myself didn't notice it, but others have commented on her gaining alot of weight. I changed her food from Science Diet to BLUE, we are now on our 3rd 40lb bag. I've noticed a tremendous decrease in shedding since being on BLUE, and she prefers it to S.D.

Thanks a bunch! We hope to get alot of responses!
    Amber

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_bacatherine is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Rabies, Food, Flea Preventative & Heart meds?!?!?!

Good luck with your move I hate having to find a new vet or doctor too hopefully your vet will have a recommendation for you.
    1- Frontline Plus. I've tried K-9 Advantix and didn't care for it all three dogs would shake their heads a few days after a lot which they never do with the Frontline. We use Interceptor for Heartworm it also protects against other types of worms which is why I prefer it over heartguard.
    2- around here it seems to be standard policy to get rabies shots each year but from what I understand the recommendation from the American Vet assoc. is every three years. Zeus got a 3 yr last year from a different vet before we got him and I think we will do the same with Mocha next year when she's due for hers.
    3- It's hard to tell without pictures from here you should be able to feel her ribs but not see them and she should have a definate tuck to her abdomen. If you can get a standing picture from the side and top it's easier to tell. If she is a little overweight cut back on the food a bit (1/4 cup at a time) and try to get her an extra walk it and it should come off pretty easy.
    We fed Blue to our yorkie for a while I liked it but it was harder to get around here so I ended up switching. The Blue probably has a higher caloric value than the SD so that could cause the weight gain as well.
    <br />Barbara, Mocha, Zeus, &amp; Smeagol

Dani is offline Senior Member

I use Interceptor year around and Frontline Plus only a couple of times a year.
    We get Rabies every 3 years (its' a three year vaccination)
    As for weight, spaying has nothing to do with her gaining weight, more calories and less exercise does. Are you feeding more than SD? How much exercise is she getting? I'll bet you are feeding more of the Blue and she's getting more calories because it's a better food.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

My Lil Lab Kaycie is offline Senior Member

I think part of the problem, is that I'm feeding the same amount of food. Of course, living with my parents....my mom and I work different schedules, so I'm sure she has been fed *extra* because we forgot to tell each other we fed the dogs. Her exercise has defenitely slacked off. It's so hot here in Louisiana that sometimes its in the 90's at 6pm. TOOOO hot...We are in the middle of re-vamping our routine in the middle of the move, so now that DH is coming home, we're going to talk with our vet about running in the early mornings or late evenings with her. One lap around our complex would be a good start.

imported_Nick is offline Senior Member

I only use Frontline if I see a bunch of ticks on him (I always check after we go out). I've never seen fleas on him, so I don't regularly apply Frontline. I do use Heartgard every 45 days, all year long. Rabies is every three years according to state law (you can do it annually, but we opt for the 3 year shot).

I know what you mean about the accidental feedings. When I come home from school, I know Jes acts like he's starving whenever someone comes home and has gotten two suppers on more than one occasion. We started putting a post-it note on his dog food container just saying he was fed and the date/time if someone feeds him and the others are not home.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Fleas, ticks, heartworm -- Frontline Plus & Interceptor, as recommended by our vets @ Kansas State CollVetMed Teaching Hospl

Rabies -- @ 3 years as required by the city licensing

We feed Kirkland C&R (393 kcals/cup) -- similar to "Diamond Naturals"

I agree with comments by bacatherine, Dani, and Nick.

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Mooselady is offline Senior Member

We use Heartgard for heart worm and are now using Comfortis for fleas. I had used Frontline Plus for years but Tugg has a head-shaking seizure like disorder and we noticed that it would be worse after applying Frontline. Per the Company's rep and our vet it may decrease the seizure threshold in some breeds. Here in the Willamette Valley (Oregon) fleas are a huge problem and I don't want to give them a chance to establish. I only use Heartgard because we spend a lot of time in Central Oregon which has an issue with mosquitoes.
    <br /><br /><br />&quot;Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our life whole.&quot;&nbsp; Roger Caras

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

I don't use flea prevention. I use interceptor for heartworm prevention (dosed appropriately, as close to 0.23mg/lb as possible, combining different pills to make up that dose)

No, my dogs do NOT get a rabies shot every year. They're both on the three year program (for distemper and parvo as well, although I may start to titre for those soon). I may even do titres for rabies with Peanut, as she has some allergy/immune issues.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!