Calories in Pro Plan Select

Thread: Calories in Pro Plan Select

RebaHalle is offline Senior Member

DefaultCalories in Pro Plan Select

About 2 weeks ago I switched from Royal Canin Lab (Reba) and Royal Canin 27 (Halle) to ProPlan Select Turkey and Barley Adult. I did this primarily because I want to feed one food to both dogs but also because Reba seemed to have a lot of stool and had gained weight. No where on the Pro Plan bag could I find a calorie listing, so I looked it up online today. The calories are quite a bit more per cup, but I am feeding her less. The Pro Plan is a much smaller kibble than the Royal Canin Lab. It is listed as 4,157 kcal/kg or 466 kcal/cup. Royal Canin Lab is 3761 kcal/kg and 321 kcal/cup. Is Pro Plan Select a 'candy'? Am I starving her at 2 1/2 cups of the Pro Plan?

Just how many calories should a seven year old Lab that I would like to get down to 75 pounds be eating??? She is an active dog. We go for long walks every day and she is off leash with lots of running room and a Jack Russell to keep up with. She weighed 84 pounds 3 months ago. That was a 4 pound gain from last fall. Is it a factor that she is on thyroid meds?

Luckily, I just have to worry about Reba. Halle is an extremely picky eater and does not have a weight problem.

Judy, mom to Reba, the Lab, and Jalapeno (Halle), the JRT

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

henrysmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Calories in Pro Plan Select

Calories and kilocalories are two different things. Kilocalories are a measure of metabolic energy, or, the amount of energy that is available through digestion (assuming optimal absorption etc).

The ProPlan Select (466 kcal/cup) is much more nutritionally dense than the Royal Canin (321 kcal/cup). Part of it is due to the smaller kibble size (ie. you can fit more kibbles in 1 cup) and probably partly due to different ingredients which are metabolized differently.

So no, the ProPlan Select is not candy in the sense that it's full of extra calories (I think that was what you were asking?)

As far as what a 7 year old lab needs to get down to 75lbs, kcal wise, I'm not sure. I would just feed your 2.5 cups per day and see how her weight is, and then adjust the amount you feed accordingly.
    Gorsebrook Jackson Triggs, CD, RN, WC, CGN<br />Kelrobin A Twist of Fate<br /><br />

JacksAndLabs is offline Senior Member

I can't help with the thyroid issue, but I do feed PP selects and I can share who gets what

Darwin - 5yr male - 70lbs - 4c
    Piper - 3 yr bitch - 65lbs - 2-2.5c
    Bono - 15 month male - 85lbs - 5c
    Scout - 7 yr male JRT - 20lbs - 1c

All of my dogs are pretty active except for Scout, who's a bum, lol.

~Nicole<br />Grand Ledge, MI<br /><br />

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

RebaHalle is offline Senior Member

Thanks for the replies; they helped. Now I feel better about choosing ProPlan Select. In a couple of weeks I will take Reba and weigh her at the vet's and hopefully she will have lost some weight! I was worrying that she was getting too many 'empty' calories. Personally, when I have dieted, I try to spend my calories on healthy food. The Select is probably a much denser food per cup as the Royal Canin was big kibble with a hole in the middle. Again, Thanks.
    Judy, mom to Reba, the Lab, and Jalapeno (Halle), the JRT