Switching to adult dry food - some recommendations?

Thread: Switching to adult dry food - some recommendations?

sticks1977 is offline Member

DefaultSwitching to adult dry food - some recommendations?

Fraser is turning "1" tomorrow and I have been busy today baking him a cake (found the recipe for it via this website...) and he is nearing the end of his current big bag of Hill's Science Diet Puppy Large Breed.

Since he is approaching 12 months, I have been thinking of switching him over to a better dry food to suit his age (perhaps an adult dry food?). I know these topics have probably been done until the cows come home - but there are so many products out there I am not sure which one to go with...

The main brands I have access to here in Australia are Eukanuba, Hill's Science Diet, Eagle Pack, Royal Canin and Purina Pro Plan. I have heard both good and bad reports mainly on Hill's Science Diet and also Royal Canin, but I am still undecided whether to switch him - or move him onto an adult dry food from Hill's.

I understand that everybody has their own opinion and I am more than happy to hear what people have to say... I would rather find out from the consumers and lab owners out there with what dry foods to avoid and which ones I should at least try and see how he goes. Also is his stool colour of any importance when determining if he is on a good diet? I have seen some that are a caramel/light brown colour but have been between firm and soft in hardness...

Any input and replies would be appreciated - I know that I have to gradually introduce any new food into his diet. I can't wait for his birthday tomorrow, have bought him plenty of toys and a few treats - the birthday cake should be a hoot!

Regards, Shaun (sticks1977)

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

sarah is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Switching to adult dry food - some recommendations?

Hi Shaun

We're currently switching Milly from Hills to Eagle Pack Holistic Large and Giant Puppy. She is doing well so far but it's only been 5 days. I think the contents of the Hills are not as great as the vets and pet stores make out to be which is why we made the switch. This link could help you maybe?

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/

cheers
    Sarah

Just also wanted to add that I chose Eagle Pack over the Royal Canin because the Eagle Pack doesn't contain Corn Gluten Meal and I have read alot of different articles where corn can cause itching and irritation in dogs. Milly has always been a scratcher so we are hoping that removing this ingredient from her diet may help with that.

Also modified to add that I forgot to say Happy Birthday to Fraser!!!!!!!
    Sarah & Milly - Sydney Australia

Labsrme is offline Senior Member

If it were me I would go to Eagle Pack. It's a really good food made by a great company.

The color of stool makes no difference unless it is something bizarre.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

sarah is offline Senior Member

The colour of stools can also be affected by the colour of the kibble they are eating I believe (anyone feel free to correct me if I am wrong) but on HSD Milly had lighter coloured stools too but the kibble is quite lightly coloured - the Eagle Pack food is alot darker and as a result i've noticed her stools getting darker each day she's been on it (from about day 2 through till now)

So if the colour of their stools bothers you - you'll be happier on Eagle Pack LOL. IMO, the firmness of the stools is more important than the colour.
    Sarah & Milly - Sydney Australia