how to switch puppy food properly?

Thread: how to switch puppy food properly?

hikingchick is offline Member

Defaulthow to switch puppy food properly?

We are switching to a higher quality puppy food. We were using Purina Pro Plan Large Breed Puppy but I didn't realize it was so low quality :'( Anyway, we are switching and I want to know how I should go about it? I know I need to introduce it gradually but how? Over the course of a week? a few days? a month?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Csully123 is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: how to switch puppy food properly?

Great guestion we are doing this to after reading of the poor qaulity of IAMS, We use dry food and had just purchased the large bag of iams puppy prior to reading about iams and wanting to switch so what we were thinking of doing is mixing a small amount of the new food in with the iams puppy till the iams puppy was gone then just start using the new stuff. (we are going to switch to wellness)

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

The typical recommended protocol for switching puppies over from one food to another is to do it over 9-12 days -- say 3 days of 1/4 new to 3/4 old, 3 days of 1/2 and 1/2, 3 days of 3/4 new and 1/4 old, then all new.

We are switching to a higher quality puppy food. We were using Purina Pro Plan Large Breed Puppy
    Is the new one a Large Breed Puppy formulation (or does it have the proper % and ratio of Calcium and Phosphorus?).
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

hikingchick is offline Member

To answer Bob Pr., we are switching to a puppy food formulated for large breeds...the brand is Blue if that helps. so far the switch is going well, haven't noticed any upset tummy or anything. Been doing about 1/4 to 1/3 new and 3/4-2/3 old. Will switch to half and half in a few days...thanks!