When to switch to adult food?

Thread: When to switch to adult food?

Csully123 is offline Senior Member

DefaultWhen to switch to adult food?

Denali is allmost 5 months old, he is curently on IAM"S large breed puppy food and after reading reviews on IAMS we have decided to do the switch over to wellness food (gradually) but we have been told that we can switch him now to adult food instead of keeping him on puppy? We asked the pet store cleark and she said no way keep him on puppy till at lease a year old? So my questions are when should we switch to adult and is Wellness is going to be a good product and which one should we use?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

GTownPride is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: When to switch to adult food?

Did you get Denali from a breeder? If so, I would ask them if/when to switch him from puppy food to adult food. I switched Bunny to adult food at a few days shy of 4 months, which her breeder said was fine. I think that people have different philosophies about when to switch to adult food, I've heard of some breeders who don't feed puppy food at all, and some make the switch anywhere between then and 12 months so I don't think there is a set age.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Yes, ask the breeder

The age at which to switch depends a great deal on which particular adult food to which you're switching.

Some adult foods have amounts of Calcium and Phosphorus that fit with the recommended amounts for a Large Breed Puppy food. They would also typically have AAFCO statements that that food has been use tested and provides complete and balanced nutrition for all ages.

If it doesn't have that, IMO it's better to stick with a LBP food for the first year.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Csully123 is offline Senior Member

Thank you both, the breeder we got him from was not really a breeder per say but yeah Ill give her a call and ask her, but we are planing on switching to wellness dog food but I think Iam going to stick with there puppy food till he is a year old.