My dog's pretty sick.

Thread: My dog's pretty sick.

micknjack is offline Junior Member

DefaultMy dog's pretty sick.

we have a 9 year old lab. He's been sick for 2 weeks. He ate some steak n pooped on the floor well the next day he had a seizure. He had one before n the dr. said it was lyme's. So if it happens again time it i did it was about 3 min long. A couple days later i seen lil drops of blood on the floor n it came from his penis, so i called the vet n she tested his pee n stool and did a lyme's test. It came back he had lyme's, tapeworm and a UTI. We gave him med for the tapeworm and antibiotics for everything else. Well now he seems to not be eating good and barfed on the floor last night it was a very little bit but it was a bright yellow. He's also been grunting and licking the bottom of his paw's. I looked online n it says the grunting and not eating could come from lyme's but im just worried theres something else going on. Any info would be great.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: My dog's pretty sick.

I am not a vet, have no experience w/ Lyme personally (thankfully) but the UTI and tapeworm I do have experience with, and they should not cause major issues unless they've been there untreated for a long time. Both would be fairly quickly caught, esp since it sounds as though he's a house dog. My suggestion is to take him for a 2nd opinion elsewhere, esp since they don't seem to be addressing the seizure. I'd not be very happy with that personally.

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

imported_BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Seizures happen rarely in rather advanced Lyme Disease. Are you saying that the vet tied the 2 together? They did not treat the Lyme when the first seizure happened?

My dog had Lyme that badly and once she was on the antibiotics she improved very quickly. Your dog is probably very stiff and in some pain - which will affect appetite for sure. The yellow vomit is from an empty belly.

If he is not on pain meds like Rimadyl, he should be. He also should be getting some ground chicken and rice until he is feeling better (just get ground chicken, boil it and add boiled rice). He will probably eat that. Slowly add back in the kibble.

BTW - if the vet thought the seizures were from Lyme I fail to see the point in timing them. He should have been on antibiotics from the time he tested positive for the Lyme.
    Sharon

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

micknjack is offline Junior Member

Well the first time he had a seizure she said she thought it was from the lyme's n she gave him an anti-biotic n pain med. she said if he had another seizure after his med. was gone it prob. wasnt the lyme's so time it because she didnt wanna put him on the seizure med because he would have to be on it for the rest of his life. Well this time she said he prob. had another one because the lyme's was back. (It was a 6mth span between the 2 seizures and he's only ever had 2 in his life) She did give him a pain killer and he does seem to be doin better its kind of a day to day thing though. He's starting to eat better. But he had so many other prob. that it may just be takin him a little longer to get better. He also has spring allergies so that could be another reason for the sleeping all the time, grunting and licking his paw's. Thanks for the advise about the chicken and rice im sure he'll love that.