Gryphons chronic ear issues...

Thread: Gryphons chronic ear issues...

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

DefaultGryphons chronic ear issues...

I think we finally found the problem!
    Pseudomonas otitis
    The preceding therapies we have used we feel were just putting a bandaid on the problem. But now we have an actually name for this. I am SO glad I got to see my normal Vet today cuz I think it was the other Vet who just was not getting this right. She is fresh out of Vet school.
    We went over his charts and my regular vet had even made note (the last time he had a yeast infection) there was some presence of rods on the ear slides. But I guess on our revisit the other Vet did not take not of this.

So he is on a very aggressive antibiotic treatment and something to sooth his ear. There was a pretty good size sorerin there.
    I hope and pray this is the last of this ordea. It has been on going for 9 MONTHS!
    Kim

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

I am sure what you are doing is the right thing. Have you considered a food change, no grains, or no lamb, or no chicken, i.e. try to eliminate something from the diet to see if the ear problem is brought on by an allergy.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

Quote Originally Posted by HersheyK's Dad View Post
    I am sure what you are doing is the right thing. Have you considered a food change, no grains, or no lamb, or no chicken, i.e. try to eliminate something from the diet to see if the ear problem is brought on by an allergy.
    Nope because we all are in agreement that this is not a food problem. If his infections were in both ears and it was yeast related I would say maybe....But is has only been this one ear and NO other symptoms that go along with food allergies. There is also no reference to Pseudomonas otitis being related to food.
    He had a yeast infection in his ear back in December which we fixed quickly but she believe it perpetuated this as a secondary infection. It also tends to be a very resistant strain and can be hard to treat. It needs to be done aggressively.
    Kim

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Luvmydog2much is offline Senior Member

Good to hear he's on the mend! Rhys had a pseudomonas that lasted near to 4months, I knew it wasn't food related because he gets no grain and is on pred etc for cancer treatment.

Antibiotics cleared him right up, but I don't remember what kind. He had dug a hole in that side of his face poor bug, and had to wear an e collar, which he promptly ate...
    'Don't grow up too quickly, lest you forget how much you love the beach.'
    ~ Michelle Held

Rhys, Ruby and Nola

Canula2000 is offline Senior Member

Can you tell me more about this? My cavalier has had an ear infection for 3 weeks and it isn't getting better, we are on one last antibiotic ointment and then the vet wants to do surgery. I don't want to do surgery as I know that in itself can cause problems and I am not sure it will actually fix the problem. But I don't know what other options I have at this point.

This whole ordeal started when we were vacationing in the midwest and my dog did alot of swimming. The moisture from the air never allowed her ears to dry completely. Anyway infection is only in one ear.

"Every boy should have two things: a dog, and a mother willing to let him have one"
    - Anonymous