How much peanut butter?

Thread: How much peanut butter?

DefaultHow much peanut butter?

I have discovered that using peanut butter to "glue" kibble into a glob and stuff this into a kong is about the only thing that will occupy our 12 wk old pup for very long. We tried cheese, but not as effective. I'm wondering - how much peanut butter can I use daily at this age? I'm using about a teaspoon, once per day, sometimes twice in a day. Does that seem ok, or too much?

Other food/toy tricks to try? Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

I never really used peanut butter that much. I use stuff like bananas and baby food and sometimes mashed taters.
    Kim

I really wouldn't recommend too much peanut butter - its fatty, and labs being labs, they will put on the weight..fast!

We always found putting some meat in a plastic bottle (and screwing the cap back on) will keep them busy for hours.. plus its much healthier

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by labradorman09 View Post
    I really wouldn't recommend too much peanut butter - its fatty, and labs being labs, they will put on the weight..fast!

We always found putting some meat in a plastic bottle (and screwing the cap back on) will keep them busy for hours.. plus its much healthier
    I'd be disinclined to give my dog or puppy a plastic bottle with the cap on and an incentive inside it. Caps are choking hazards and the dog will work hard to remove the cap to get at the meat.

Using a safe toy like a Kong is a much better idea. You have gotten several good suggestions for stuffers.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

YellowJakesMom is offline Senior Member

that amount of peanut butter is fine We also stuffed with a mixture of veggies (green beans, carrots, etc.) and they like that too. Canned is cheapest and they like the added salt.

Only after the last tree has been cut down, only after the last river has been poisoned, only after the last fish has been caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten. - Cree prophecy

Henery&Ollie's mom is offline Senior Member

Henery & Ollie's kongs have always been parfait-style... half baby carrot in the bottom to plug the little hole, then alternating layers of kibble and smashed banana slices ("glue"), sometimes with another baby carrot or green bean halfway through, continuing with the kibble/banana slice until near the top which is sealed with a thin smear of PB, and then the entire thing is frozen. Keeps them busy for a while.

The kibble used is taken out of their daily ration, that way I know they're not going to put on extra weight.

I think that amount of peanut butter is fine, i also sometimes stick my kong in the freezer once it is filled and it seems to last abit longer!

hersheygal is offline Junior Member

I love all of the filler suggestions here!

I have a kong, but only put a biscuit in it because I'm not sure how I'd effectively clean it.

I another very similiar toy that comes apart, so it is quite easy to clean.

My 5 month old loves plastic bottles, too. We take off the cap, snip off the ring at the base of the cap, put a few kibble inside, then squish the bottle in the middle a bit so the kibble are trapped at the bottom. Once the bottle gets too worn, we recycle it.

I agree, though, that the kong-like toys are a much better option.

MidwestGirl is offline Senior Member

I put about a 1/2 tsp in the kong with a couple of treats.