Buddy 11

bella 5

Bruno 3

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: lymphoma

We had cancer back in the 70's before much was known about treatment and there was no chemo for dogs.

Cancer thrives on carbohydrates so I would eliminate them.

See info here on cancer and diet: www.dogaware.com

Assuming your dog has been diagnosed, my thoughts are with you in this.

TangerineFizz is offline Senior Member

Yes, get off the grains completely.

My first lab, Jordan, died 3 years ago this month due to lymphoma. We didn't go chemo as when it was diagnosed, she was already in stage 4. (If you want, I can send you to a post to look at her neck lymph nodes which are very,very visible at the time)

We treated with prednisone to give us some good quality time together, but knew it was just that - a matter of time. She lived one month from diagnosis. It's a horrible disease because you really feel incredibly shitty when you have it.

One thing with lymphoma you have to understand is there is no cure. It's treatable, but not at all cureable. Meaning, chemo treatment will give you more time, but there's nothing written in stone - it could be 1 month, 7 months, 1 year, but the end result is inevitable.

There's a few of us with personal experience on here, and one member recently (last yearish?) went the chemo route and got 7 glorious months extra from his fantastic pooch because of it.

Also, when Jordan had it, I also didn't know about going grain free, and I can't stress enough now to stop feeding anything with grains to help buy more precious time.

Oh, and if you want to PM me for anything, please feel free.
    Me, Abzilla and the Helomonster.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

dogmom is offline Senior Member

We treated our beloved Coal with Chemo when he was diagnosed 6 years ago, he was 11 years old at the time of diagnosis. He survived 11 months, nearly all of that time was good time, he had a week or so total that he didn't feel well due to side effects of the Chemo. We spent about $6000.00 and would do it again in a heartbeat.

The 11 months we had with him meant the world to us. We took him to the lakes, San Diego and to the NASCAR races. I still get a lump in my throat just thinking about my big guy.

I realize this is not for everyone but it was the right decision for us. Financially, it was a strain but we managed.

I work at a Vet Clinic and we currently have several patients that are undergoing Chemo. All are doing well, one dog has been in remission for over a year and doing great. As others suggested, feeding a very low/no carb diet is highly suggested.

Whatever your decision, I wish you the best.

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

I personally know of a veterinary technician whose border collie X was diagnosed with lymphoma and treated with chemo at age 7. He lived until age 10 when he died of a completely unrelated cause. If you'd like to PM me with your e-mail address, I can possibly have her contact you and share her experiences with you? Every dog is an individual, so they all respond differently to medications/chemo, diseases, etc. Most of the time, thankfully, dogs and cats don't generally seem to have the same side-effects as humans from chemo.

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon