Grain-free Merrick?

Thread: Grain-free Merrick?

Anne is offline Senior Member

DefaultGrain-free Merrick?

I stopped in my local Mom & Pop pet food store today to pick up a bag of dog food and the owner gave me a whole bunch of samples of Merrick's new grain-free kibble. Because I am dog food illiterate and take my cues directly from others ( ) I am wondering what you all think of these ingredients/ratios/etc.

btw, I currently feed the my big guys Merrick kibble and have been pleased with how they do on it.

Before Grain Buffalo
    Ingredients: Buffalo Deboned, Chicken Meal, Potato Dehydrated, Turkey Meal, Canola Oil, Sweet Potato Dehydrated, (preserved with mixed tocopherols – a source of Natural Vitamin E and Ascorbic Acid, a source of Vitamin C), Yeast Culture, Natural Dried Chicken Liver, Dicalcium Phosphate, Lysine, Guar Gum, Sea Salt, Alfalfa, Salmon Oil, Choline Chloride, Acai Berry Dried, Blueberry Dried, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Dried Venison Broth, Zinc Amino Acid Complex,Chondroitin Sulfate, Glucosamine Hydrochloride, Natural Venison Flavor, Chicory Root, Marigold Extract, Rosemary Extract, Lactobacillus Plantarum, Enterococcus Faecium, Lactobacillus Casei, Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Natural Celery Flavor, Iron Amino Acid Complex, Vitamin E Supplement, Manganese Amino Acid Complex, Natural Color (tumeric), Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Copper Amino Acid Complex, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin D3, Niacin, Lecithin, Riboflavin Supplement, Biotin, Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Cobalt Amino Acid Complex, Folic Acid, Thiamine Mononitrate, Sodium Selenite.
    Guaranteed Analysis:
    Crude Protein 32.0% Min
    Crude Fat 15.0% Min
    Crude Fiber 3.0% Max
    Moisture 11.0% Max

Murphy, Riley, and Piper

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

TangerineFizz is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Grain-free Merrick?

Anne, I'm no expert by any means, but it looks good to me! The only thing I might shy away from would be the yeast culture, but that would only be if I had a dog with yeasty ear problems. (if that sentence makes any sense, it's late, I think I should have been in bed hours ago)

BTW Anne, I want to save and print out that pic of your sunset. It's gorgeous.
    Me, Abzilla and the Helomonster.

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Baloo has some yeast issues, so I have to be careful on that end otherwise his ears get really bad, really quickly. Other than that, though it looks good to me.

I like Merrick as a company, however, so I think that's playing into my opinion.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Anne is offline Senior Member

Thanks, guys. See-I would never have 'seen' the yeast culture as a possible deterrent.

Kate, I like Merrick too. I had my guys on another high-end kibble for years. My mom&pop pet food supplier convinced me to give Merrick a try. One and a half bags later, I could see enormous differences. Plus, I put faith in Merrick's purchasing and manufacturing standards.

Karina- Why dontcha just pack up your handsome hubby and your gorgeous girls and come see it in person? We have a spare bedroom--and nearly enough couch space for 5 dogs!

Murphy, Riley, and Piper

Looks like a good food Anne! I wouldn't feed it to Henery just because he can't eat turkey and because of the yeast culture but otherwise the ingredients look great! It's nice to have a grain-free that isn't super high in protein too.