Overweight? I don't think so!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Overweight? I don't think so!

DefaultOverweight? I don't think so!

I was on another board, not a lab board, discussing a specific brand of food. Odd how subjects can really go sort of off-topic from there. Anyway, in one post, a woman said she recalled from my pics that my labs were overweight. Since my pics were a month or two old, I went outside and got pics right then and there (although they had both just eaten). Here are the pics I posted and asked her to please look again:

I mentioned that both dogs had been to the vets a couple of times in the last couple of months and the vets said they were the perfect weight for the height and build.

Belle the taller and lighter is (approx) 27" at the withers. I know, far above AKC standards but we love her. She fluctuates between 71-77 lbs. I explained that the folds that she has were from a very large inguinal hernia she had removed at 15 weeks of age and she never grew into the skin.

Winnie the smaller and darker is 21" at the withers (she's standing uphill in one of the pics) and her weight fluctuates between 52-55 lbs.

So....I guess I'm asking for opinions. Thank you Patty for helping me out too!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Overweight? I don't think so!

I think they look great. Some people just need to learn to keep their mouths shut.

It seems like it really upset you. Just remember, they are strangers on a forum. You really don't have to justify yourself.

But your dogs look like they are at a good weight (from another forum stranger!)

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I forgot to add that she then said that Winnie was okay but that Belle was at least 10 pounds overweight and that there was no way she could be 28" at the withers. Okay, no wicket handy but I can't be off by much.

My god, they are nowhere near overweight!!!

That woman sounds like a nut bar!

WOW........they look perfect to me, if anything they can use an extra treat a day!!! They are more than a fine weight!!!!!!!!

sarah is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by bacatherine
    I think they look great. Some people just need to learn to keep their mouths shut.
    Amen - rather than be upset tell her what you really think hehe! I would ..... but that's just me.

Want me to tell her for you? I won't mind.... !!!
    Sarah & Milly - Sydney Australia

kaytris is offline Senior Member

Why is this woman's opinion more important than your vet's?

Quote Originally Posted by kaytris
    Why is this woman's opinion more important than your vet's?
    That is a VERY good question. I'm one of those people who can be easily swayed by the opinions of others. I know, bad trait, but unfortunately it is true. It shouldn't matter and my vets opinion should only matter but I needed validation from others. You are a very wise person to point this question out.

Quote Originally Posted by ChowHound
    You really don't have to justify yourself.
    Two times reminded of that and I am sufficiently feeling much better about the whole issue. Thank you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast