Food for a new puppy, Royal Canin vs Nutro

Thread: Food for a new puppy, Royal Canin vs Nutro

DefaultFood for a new puppy, Royal Canin vs Nutro

Hi everyone,

I'm going to be getting a new puppy (2 months old) next week and I'm wondering about which dog food I should get. I've done some research and talked to a few people and I really liked what I heard about Royal Canin. I've decided to get Babydog 30 (for large breed puppies from weaning to 5 months), but my breeder suggested Nutro Large Breed Puppy Food. I'm wondering if anyone here has had experience with either...?

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Food for a new puppy, Royal Canin vs Nutro

I would stay on whatever the breeder has him on for atleast a few weeks then you can switch. I have researched alot of foods and Nutro has had alot of recalls as did royal canin. A good place to start is www.dogfoodanalysis.com. they rate dog foods from best to worst. the 6star ones are all grain free which are great but some aren't sure about high protein and calcium levels for puppies growing. the only grain free suitable is Orijen the calcium is 1.4% stay under 1.5%.... Alot of people use canidae (all life stages), innova large breed puppy, eagle pack holistics large breed pup. and alot of people use Pro Plan. Stay away from Corn, Wheat, Soy. and be sure the first few ingredients are either chicken Meal, Turkey Meal, Lamb Meal. NOt a grain...

goodguy is offline Senior Member

Sami was on royal canin as that was the food the breeder was feeding. We eventually went to the lab formula when she grew up. She did fine on it, but we found that she is allergic to chicken so we had to switch but she did well on it..

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

My reply is in no way an experts advice but here's what we did. We got Belle from the breeder as a pup and weaned her off of the Purina she had been given to Nutro Natural Choice Large Breed Puppy which she did fine on. She, and now her litter mate sister, Winnie, are both on Nutro Natural Choice Large Breed. Good luck on whatever you decide.

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

Comparing ingredients:

Nutro:

Chicken Meal, Ground Rice, Corn Gluten Meal, Wheat Flour, Rice Flour, Rice Bran

Royal Canine:

Chicken meal, rice, brown rice, chicken fat, corn gluten meal, chicken, dried egg product

If I had to choose between the 2 i would go with the RC. However, there are better choices on the market (less filler, no corn gluten, wheat flour, rice flour)

I prefer to stay away from wheat, soy, corn, sorghum, by products.

If you really like Royal Canine consider (RC/sensible Choice Natural Blend): I fed this to my dogs and last litter of pups and all did great on it. It was recalled back in May of 07 because of a cross contamination (voluntarily by the company) in the plant from other foods that contained the tainted rice protein but problem has been resolved and it has been back on the market for quite some time.

Notice the difference in ingredients:

http://www.petfooddirect.com/store/p...5Fid=674&Page=

Chicken, brown rice, chicken meal, oatmeal, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), brewers rice,

Having 2 sources of protein (first source being most important) in the first 3-5 ingred. is a huge plus.

The other thing I like about this food is the adult formula is very very similar in ingred. so easier when making the switch from puppy to adult.

Best of luck with your new pup.