Is this normal?

Thread: Is this normal?

Charliesmommy is offline Senior Member

DefaultIs this normal?

I tried to do a search on the internet and couldn't find anything. Our boy has what I can only describe as a brown funk in the corners of his mouth. It's on his lip area and one side is worse than the other. Is this normal? He was rubbing his face on his paws then licking them, so I checked it out and discovered this. When I wiped it with a papertowel, it was brown.

Oh, and his gums and teeth are fine.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Is this normal?

Is there some type of break in the skin or can you tell where it's coming from? Any chance it was just dirt mixed with salyva?

I don't see any breaks in the skin... there are a few bumps, but I think they are part of his lip. It's in the corner of his mouth, so maybe it is just dirt. He rubs at it though so it makes me worry.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I would bet it's just dirt unless you can find some place that is oozing or maybe he has a peice of a twig caught between his teeth or something it could be coming from.

Thank you for your thoughts bacatherine
    I took him to the vet because it just kept buggin' me and turns out he has some kind of bacterial infection :surprise:
    Looks like we'll be enjoying antibiotics twice a day and medicated wipes for a while! The vet said that it is in a very odd place, and we hope that it will go away for good after his medicine regimen!

Just thought I'd update because you were kind enough to reply... lets hope the medicine gets him fixed up!

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

That does sound like a strange place. Hoping the meds clear it up.

I would be giving live organism probiotics 2-3 hours before or after administering meds (assuming they are giving oral antibiotics?) and continue prob. for a couple of weeks after meds are finished to put good bacteria back in the system that the meds will kill off.