Need advice picking out food

Thread: Need advice picking out food

VTEnviro is offline Senior Member

DefaultNeed advice picking out food

Hi everyone, I've posted a few times in the intro thread, but since we haven't picked up our pup yet haven't had much to say in the other forums.

We are picking up our little chocolate lab Rupert next weekend.

We've got just about all our supplies and equipment for him, and will get some food for him in the next few days. Anyone have any good suggestions on what to get him? There's so many kinds of food out there from really cheap to very expensive. We are planning on a dry food. The folks at the local feed and supply shop (whom I trust) suggest a puppy food for large breeds.

I want to give him what he needs to grow up healthy, but have read that labs can get overweight very easily, so I want to make a good selection.

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Need advice picking out food

I would keep him on whatever your breeder has him on for a couple weeks then slowly switch him over. Great foods are Innova large breed puppy, eaglepack large/giant breed pup, canidae (which is all life stages). also california natural, and wellness puppy. good luck

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Among good quality, popular Large Breed Puppy foods are Diamond Naturals, Eukanuba, ProPlan, and Science Diet
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

YellowJakesMom is offline Senior Member

I just wanted to point out that the Wellness rep I spoke with did not recommend feeding their puppy food to lab puppies (or any "large breed" puppy). The Ca:P ratios weren't right, so he said to feed another food to puppies until they get their LBP formula out sometime later this year

Baby Belle's and BobPR's suggestions are good! I've fed Eagle Pack, Wellness, and Innova foods and been happy with the results. Best suggestion was to keep puppy on breeder's food for a while at home, then switch. The last thing you want to deal with is an upset tummy and potty training issues!

Only after the last tree has been cut down, only after the last river has been poisoned, only after the last fish has been caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten. - Cree prophecy

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

*sigh*. It makes me so sad that I can't recommend Orijen anymore in good faith. :'(
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

I agree, as i thought very highly of orijen!! Shouldve stayed with my switch to innova lbp which is what i am going to start doing once again!! Makes me angry, she was doing so well on it. I mean it was a mistake it's not like the food has been recalled because it was tainted like the other recalls but they should've checked like they say they do and they didn't. who knows what will become of all of this now...

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

Feed what the breeder is feeding unless it's utter crap.

Then I would go with something like Innova or Canidae.