My older Choclate Lab is Vomitting on a regular basis -nearly every night now
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My older Choclate Lab is Vomitting on a regular basis -nearly every night now

DefaultMy older Choclate Lab is Vomitting on a regular basis -nearly every night now

Hello All -

My choclate lab rippley has been vomitting frequently over the past year or so, but now is vomitting basically every night while we sleep. Baically it is food and brown liquid that he is vomitting. We have a 2 year old and a 6month (human children) and it is getting very difficult to deal with the mess and sainatary issues. Lucikly we have hardwood floors... We took him to the vet awhile back and they ran some test but all were negative. I am not sure what to do. Rippley has been a great dog and the my wife and I + kids love him. We feed him pedigree large breed (large bits). He eats really quickly but does not usually vomit until hours later. I really don't want to spend a ton of money torubleshooting the issue with the vet, but need to get a handle on this issue. Any help would be appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

joflake is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: My older Choclate Lab is Vomitting on a regular basis -nearly every night now

If he is vomiting every night, I would definately take him to the vet. Something is obviously wrong. If you love him like you say you do, I can't understand why you wouldn't want to.

DefaultRe: My older Choclate Lab is Vomitting on a regular basis -nearly every night now

How many times a day are you feeding him? Twice a day is the norm. Also, Pedigree isn't the best quality food out there.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I would check with the vet for possible reasons but in the mean time is it possible to break up his meals into smaller portions throughout the day. The last one being shortly before bed time. Maybe this way he will be able to digest it a little better. I would also maybe try just doing boiled hamburger or chicken and rice for a few days to let his stomach settle then start mixing his regular food back in. If it's been going on this long though I would definatley see the vet again.

Yeah I am not sure what the problem is. We have taken him to the vet and they ran blood and other test. Nothing found. We feed him at 8am and 5pm religiously. He has not other apparent aliments. Strong healthy dog with lots of energy. He is about 7 years (human years) and acts like a puppy. The vet said that Labs have weak stomachs and that they ofter vomit a lot. I think this is a bit excessive, especially since he did not really get sick until about 2 years ago. It seems to have progressively gotten worse. At first I thought it may have something to do with the plastic bin we kept his food in. So I left it in the bag and bought a tin/aluminum trash can. This did not solve the problem. I agree that we should take him back to the vet, I am just worried that they are going to run up massive bills to tell us he just has a weak stomach? The only other thing is that he may be depressed since our kids demand most of our attention (when he got most of it prior to us having kids). He still get his share and my wife works from home .... my 3 year old is also starting to interact with him more--who knows---we just need to find our what is ailing him.

I'd find another vet. Also, I would consider doing x-rays on him. Wonder if he has an obstruction, might have swallowed one of the kids' toys.

goodguy is offline Senior Member

I would do 2 things...
    First, find a different vet and get a second opinion. I can't imagine why you wouldn't have done this after "a year or so" of frequent vomiting...! I'd have done that right off the bat.
    Second, I would try a different and/or better dog food. Pedigree isn't awful, and some dogs do just fine one it. But again I am surprised you haven't considered this an option. This would be something I'd have tried after the vet told me she has a "sensitive stomach".. The first ingredient is CORN! Along with corn gluten meal lower on this list. Corn is very difficult for dogs to digest. I would invest in a premium dog food/brand. Not something loaded with fillers, added artificial colors, etc...

i also advise switching foods...but also to one with smaller nuggets! because
    he may be wolfing down a lot of air with the larger nuggets, thus causing the vomiting. dogs in multiple-pet households often 'eat' as fast as possible [meaning, swallow everything whole as fast as possible!].
    to use up the current large-nugget formula, let it soak awhile in hot water so it's softer & see if this helps.
    you might also want to consider that sometimes, older dogs get 'jealousy' issues in multiple-pet/kid households, it makes their stomach 'jumpy'...thus the vomiting at night after a stressful day. or, it may just be that laying down after vacuuming-in the large nuggets causes the vomit, normal activity makes the stuff keep going.
    'just because' i would also thoroughly clean & disinfect his bedding/sleeping area, since there may be a build-up of products [like, Febreeze maybe?] that is adding to the problem.

brody is offline Senior Member

if your 2 year had been vomitting for a year or your granny had I suspect you might have gone to the doctors more then once

you've already gotten good advice

SWITCH THE FOOD

put BIG rocks in the food if you think he's gulping - or put it on a baking sheet or SOMETHING

FEED THREE SMALLER more spread out meals (or offer bedtime cookies)

HAVE a complete checkup done - including parasite check if/when you ever try going to the vet again

http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

JustineNYC Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Riply
    Yeah I am not sure what the problem is. We have taken him to the vet and they ran blood and other test. Nothing found. We feed him at 8am and 5pm religiously. He has not other apparent aliments. Strong healthy dog with lots of energy. He is about 7 years (human years) and acts like a puppy. The vet said that Labs have weak stomachs and that they ofter vomit a lot. I think this is a bit excessive, especially since he did not really get sick until about 2 years ago. It seems to have progressively gotten worse. At first I thought it may have something to do with the plastic bin we kept his food in. So I left it in the bag and bought a tin/aluminum trash can. This did not solve the problem. I agree that we should take him back to the vet, I am just worried that they are going to run up massive bills to tell us he just has a weak stomach? The only other thing is that he may be depressed since our kids demand most of our attention (when he got most of it prior to us having kids). He still get his share and my wife works from home .... my 3 year old is also starting to interact with him more--who knows---we just need to find our what is ailing him.
    Find a new vet and tell them exactly what you posted in your original post. Your dog has been vomiting off and on for a year and its progressively gotten worse and now its every night. If they run bloodwork and say its nothing, find ANOTHER vet until someone finds out what is wrong.

I spent 6,000$ on my cat before someone found out why he was pooping blood.

Your dog needs an x ray and if that is normal, find a vet thatll do an endoscopy.

Dont want to scare you but something that progressively gets worse over time is very very bad. My grandmother threw up for a year and it got worse to the point where it was happening everyday and it was stomach cancer.

Your dog has something going on with him, forget about the hardwood floors.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast