Can Someone Help Me With This?

Thread: Can Someone Help Me With This?

bebopalula is offline Senior Member

DefaultCan Someone Help Me With This?

I am trying to figure out if switching Breezy to Wellness Core will be okay. I can't seem to find the info I'm looking for, which is..........How do I know how much protein, calcium, fat, etc. she will need? She is one and a half years old, spayed, medium-active dog, very fit. She weighs about 67-68 pounds. The guaranteed analysis for the Wellness Core is: Crude protein min: 34%, Crude fat min: 14%, Crude fiber max: 4%, Calcium max: 2%, Glucosamin hydrochloride min: 250 mg/kg, Chondroitin sulfate min: 200 mg/kg. Does this sound sufficient for a dog her age? Will I need to supplement the Glucosamin/Chondroitin, or is the amount in the kibble enough? I'm not happy with the food she is currently eating, and would like to switch. I just want to make sure she is getting enough of the good stuff, and also not TOO much either. I'd really appreciate any advice! I will ask my Vet when we see her at the end of this month, but I wanted to get her started on the new food ASAP.
    Thanks!!

Catherine

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Can Someone Help Me With This?

Wellness COre is a great food and it is perfect for your 1.5 year old. the protein is high but not too high like Evo 44%. Your dog should do fine on it. I had my 6 month old on Orijen LBP but now have her on Innova LBP with alot of loose jello stools so i put her back on the orijen which is 42% and she is doing great. She just does better on the grain free. wellness core is also grain free. good luck and beware the vets will try to tell you to use one of their foods like science diet...Thats a no no.. go with the wellness.. the fat% and calcium is also fine for your doggy.

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

I'd go ahead and switch if you want.

The G/C in the food is probably no longer biologically available for the dog to use (after it's cooked/processed, etc), so I would supplement if you're worried about joint problems.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Thanks baby belle. I emailed the folks at Wellness the same question I just posted here but haven't heard back yet. I'm not worried about my Vet trying to push the Science Diet on Breezy; she knows where I'm at. She is a great Vet and we have a good relationship.
    Thanks for your feedback! It gets so frustrating when I can't find the answers to all of the many questions I have! And I can't ask the breeder we got Breezy from because I don't want to insult her since it is the food she recommended that I want to change.

And thanks Baloo/Kate,
    I know you are a raw feeder so I appreciate your input too!