when did you neuter your male lab?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: when did you neuter your male lab?

Defaultwhen did you neuter your male lab?

i have a 11 week old black lab. Great puppy but he is starting to get a little...um...fresh :embarrass: with certain objects in the house...know what I mean? Anyway, my research has given so many different answers as to what age is best to neuter a lab...any advice?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: when did you neuter your male lab?

I don't want my puppy people to neuter before 14-18 months and it's written in my contract. You're going to hear from others here that you can do it way before that. I respectfully disagree with that, but ultimately you need to do your own research and decide for yourself.

If he's humping things, tell him no and take the object away and distract him. I have intact males here and the only things they've ever humped or tried to hump were bitches in season. They understood early I won't tolerate them humping anything else.

Laura

blackandyellow is offline Senior Member

I agree with labby, and if Homer ends up not showing at the rings I´ll neuter him when he´s done growing, at least 18 - 24 months old.

Of course there are all the considerations about taking care of him not getting in contact with intact females in heat (but he´s 11 weeks old anyway so he´s very young).

Homer is 11 months old now and has never humped things or people, occassionaly tried with Misha after I reintroduced them (I kept them apart for over a month while Misha was in heat and he went to obedience school) but it was probably leftover smell.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I agree also to wait. I have female and my breeder said to wait til she is atleast a year or after her first heat!! the vets always will say around 5-6 months. I would wait though until he is grown!!

I had mine neutered at 6 months before I knew any better. I really REALLY wish I had waited.

kaznalf is offline Senior Member

Alfie is 13 months and he hasnt been done yet i will be booking him in in 6 weeks or so when i get back off holiday. I havent had a problem with him humping just marking when we are out.

We neutered Murphy when he was 18 months old. We didn't have any issues with him humping or doing anything aggressive. Although the vet was pushing us from the time he was a baby, we had him operated on when we felt it was a good time. He had no trouble recovering (other than getting his cone stuck in doorways ). Murphy seems a little more laid-back now, but that could just be maturing with age. Anyway, the decision is yours - I'm sure everyone has different opinions.

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Baloo is 14 months, and I plan to have him done around 2 or maybe 3.... pending further research.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

Caleb was neutered at almost 16 months. I wanted to wait until he was 18 months, but he started this annoying habit of marking while looking at me and walking when we were working in class. :surprise: It was driving me nuts because he was giving no signals that he was about to do it. And it was getting in the way of our training. So, he got snipped in November, we waited until January to go back to classes (mainly because of the time of year), and I haven't had a problem since.

Trickster is offline Senior Member

12 months for both of my boys.

You have to go my the individual dog. My boys were displaying typical male sexual behaviours (obsessive marking, getting severely distracted by other dogs, humping) to the point where enough was enough. In particular it was interfering with their training - they could not consentrate at all. So the decision was made to get them done at 12 months of age and I don't regret it. If they hadn't had shown the behaviours that they did, I would have waited until they were 18 months of age. But otherwise, I wouldn't hesitate to neuter at 12 months again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast