Rodent Poison => H2O2 => what?

Thread: Rodent Poison => H2O2 => what?

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

DefaultRodent Poison => H2O2 => what?

HK got ininto neighbors garage and found a block or rodent poison. Approximately 1 in by 1 in by 3 in. I believe that I got 80+ percent of it ot of her mouth and can only assume she already swallowed the rest. Gave her 6 tsp of H2O2 (61 lbs). She threw up 3 times. First had a chunk that was probably most of the missing 20% and a binch of granules along with a lot of grass. Second puke had a few very small granules, but mostly clear slime, third was almost all clear slime, no sign of any of the blue/green stuff.

Do I need to do anything else?

Ed, who thinks she will be fine, but are there any other insurance steps I can take.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Rodent Poison => H2O2 => what?

Maybe call the vet to be certain. My parents' Shetland Sheepdog did the same thing, but she's considerably smaller than a Lab. They told her to do just what you did, and she was fine (no other actions than inducing vomitting).

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Thanks, Nick. Helps reduce conern. I did call eVet and they kind of told me that there wasn't much else to do. If I wasn't reasonably confident that I have done the right things, I would. take her over. But it costs almost $500 to walk in that door. I have been there too many times.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

the ONLY treatment for warfarin poisoning [which is the killer ingredient in almost all rodenticides] is Vitamin K, a special Rx grade, that is quite expensive and must be given over a long period. the 'poison panel' bloodwork is expensive, and results take forever to come in...if a significant amont [which is relative to bodyweight] has been ingested, most vets will start dog on the Vit K immediately.
    warfarin works by disrupting the clotting mechanism in mammals, so that the victim bleeds to death internally. once this process has begun, it is very hard to arrest. Vit. K is a naturally-occuring clotting mechanism component.
    it sounds like you have gotten most of the crud out of him quickly, and you should be fine.
    symptoms to watch for include pale gums, lethargy, bruising [although hard to see on a lab!]...they can occur up to several weeks later.
    i know all this because our neighbor put DCon in meatballs, which he threw over the fences on both sides........

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

I would be at the vet for a blood draw to check everything out to be on the safe side.