Wellness Core Advice
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wellness Core Advice

bebopalula is offline Senior Member

DefaultWellness Core Advice

Hi everyone,

In my constant search for a better food for Breezy, I am thinking of switching her to Wellness Core. The ingredients sound quality. I am wondering though if she is too young for this food? She will be a year and a half at the end of this month. On dogfoodanalysis.com they advise this food for adult dogs. I am wondering if she is considered 'adult' at a year and a half old. I wish there was a site that could offer advice on the amount of protein, fat, glucosamine, etc. that LABS need, at all diferent stages of their lives. I realize this would also depend on their activity level, and any other health issues. I want to make sure Breezy is getting the right balance of everything a normal Lab needs. If you guys know of a site or book that would help me, I'd appreciate any info!
    Thanks!
    Catherine

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Wellness Core Advice

Hi Catherine,

I do not have a book or website to suggest but I can share my experience with Wellness Core. Love it! Casey is my 7 year old lab and I was feeding her a food that had a lot of corn in it and is rated a one star food on the dogfoodanalysis.com website. :surprise: She has always been a decent weight and active but once I started reading this forum I learned a great deal about food choices for canines and realized that I wanted to do better by her. So after reading about different grain free human grade kibbles I decided to try Wellness Core. Well Casey dropped 6-7 pounds and is now maintaining at about 66#. On her last checkup the vet was very pleased with her new waistline. I would never have described her as overweight but now she just ripples with muscle. I feel like just the change in the makeup of what she was eating contributed to the weigh loss and and body re sculpting? I also feed her raw marrow bones on a regular basis as well. Did these results come about because of Wellness specifically? Maybe. Or it could also be the fact that most grain free foods are better? Maybe. Regardless I am happy with her changes and hopefully have improved her health for the long term.

I would consider a one and a half year old dog to be an adult but that is my opinion. As others will state on this forum you need to choose what feeding method is best for your dog. What I think is most important is that you are looking for the best food option that suits Breezy. Hope this helps and good luck!

Hi and yes it is more than fine for your 1 1/2 year old. It says for dogs over a year. I actually called wellness myself and the woman said because maximum calcium is 2% which means no more than 2% i can even start my 6.5 month old on it. I didn't i am going to wait til she is 9 months-1 year. but yes it is fine... good luck

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Labs4me is offline Senior Member

Bonnie ~ Ellsworth Labradors
    Home to Ellsworth's Playing For Keeps CGC, U-CH SHR Ellsorth's Absolut Pleasure, Ellsworth's Good Luck Charm
    Gone but not forgotten: Franklin's Lucy of Ellsworth; Franklin's Rare Treat; U-CD Franklin's Rockin' Robin CDX, WC, CGC; Alpha-Omega's Mustang Salli CDX, CGC

My 11 year old and 2 year old are both on Wellness CORE. They are doing very well and look great. I would recommend the food.

And an 18 month old dog is an adult (physically - maturity in behavior is a separate story!) He will continue to develop muscle and bulk but is not likely to grow any taller than he is now.

bebopalula is offline Senior Member

Thanks for all the responses! I'm going to give the Wellness a try and see how she does. I'll introduce the new food gradually. For those of you that feed Wellness, how are your dogs poops? I've read that some dogs have real soft poops. Every dog is different, I know, so I guess the best thing to do would be just try it and see.
    Oh, also......do you moisten the dry kibble with water first? I am wondering if I should be doing that. There are always 2 sides to everything, and sometimes it can get confusing!
    Thanks again for all your advice!
    Catherine

good choice.. i know when i was feeding orijen lbp alot of people say with the higher protein to add some water to help digest the higher protein. your doggy may also in the beginning drink more water until her body gets used to the protein amount. that is why its good to add water also.. good luck..and keep updates as i am interested in Core when my pup is a bit older..

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

FYI, Protein is NOT the problem with grain-free food, it's the calcium percentage when feeding grain-free to puppies.

Wellness Core looks like a great food! I wanted to switch Riley to it because it seemed a little more moderate than the EVO I had him on. HOWEVER, the night I fed him the first 1/4 cup mixed with his EVO he had horrible diarrhea in his crate. The poor guy has not had an accident since he was 5 months old (I got him when he was 4 months), so we decided to stay with the EVO. Good luck with it, though. I wish it could have worked for us.

Making judgment based on 1 feeding is not a fair way to judge a food.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast