Puppy vaginitis - experiences?

Thread: Puppy vaginitis - experiences?

DefaultPuppy vaginitis - experiences?

Our 11 wk old pup was diagnosed by our vet today with puppy vaginitis. She has (sorry to be graphic) creamy mucous discharge, most notable after urination, and crusting up a little on her vulva area. She is licking a lot. Urination seems to be normal - no pain, dribbling, etc. Vet says doesn't look like UTI (he didn't recommend needle puncture urine collection). He prescribed 5 days on Clavamox, but thought it probably wouldn't help, bec he thinks its probably not a bacterial infection. He says it may become chronic (ugh), and there is debate about when to spay. I've just done a lot of reading online. My questions:

- Does anyone have EASY experiences with puppy vaginitis in a lab, where it cleared up on its own?

- Your point of about the when-to-spay debate (before or after first heat)? Weighing mammary tumor risk implications?

- Other suggestions?

Bummed out that we may have a chronic condition on our hands with brand new puppy - our first, we have waited so long to have a dog.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

rayluckgoo is offline Senior Member

She's cute. I worked for a vet 20 something years ago and I remember a case or two of that. I don't remember details but I also don't remember any chronic cases. I can't help you with your other questions but at 11 weeks and this being the first time I wouldn't be too concerned that the meds won't completely clear it up. Good Luck.

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

Puppy Vaginitis is common and honestly, not a reason to go to the vet and get antibiotics.

Puppy girls have issues with cleaning their vulvas because 1) they are small and cannot reach the area for a good lick yet and 2) they are so low to the ground that they pick up germs easily.

The best way to initially treat is to wipe her clean with a tissue or a baby wipe after each pee. A warm, wet rag to remove the crusties works well too.

If the pup is deemed to have an inverted vulva, yes, not spaying until 1 heat cycle is recommended. The reason being is that the development the vulva goes through when the girl matures makes it larger and pops it out so there are no more crevises to pool urine in. Waiting through one heat raises the risk of mammary cancer by like 1-2%. Certainly not worth caring about when the alternative could be that you cause your girl to live with UTI's for the rest of her life.

But right now, just know that vaginitis is common and easy to cure without meds. I can almost guarantee that once she is older and can reach to clean herself, this won't happen again.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

What Jen said. It's quite common in bitch puppies.

Laura

Thank you all!!! Very reassuring. I'm so glad I found this board - have learned so many good things. Katherine (Maisy)