Issues with 4 month old puppy

Thread: Issues with 4 month old puppy

DefaultIssues with 4 month old puppy

Our dog Dixie has been having issues at night for the past week or so. She seems to have diarrhea at night but only at night. She wakes up every 2 hours at night but durring the day it is normal but she only goes once maybe twice during the afternoon. Her poop is constantly changing colors and sometimes has slimy stuff in it. She acts normal during the day. She eats normal, plays a lot, and drinks lots of water. About 2 months ago she had a case of giardia but we treated that. We feed her Iams Smart Puppy Large Breed 1.5 cups twice a day. So where should I start. If I cant remedy it then we are heading to the vet in the next few days.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Issues with 4 month old puppy

Giardia is notoriously difficult to get rid of, sounds like you've got a recurring case there. I'd get a stool sample back to the vet.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

goodguy is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo317
    Giardia is notoriously difficult to get rid of, sounds like you've got a recurring case there. I'd get a stool sample back to the vet.
    I'd have to agree there's something going on in there... I'd get a sample to the vet to check. I'll bet there's something in there that will tell you what's up...

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Loose stools is one thing, but the presence of "slime" might indicate a more serious problem. Time for the vet.

pup could have become reinfected with the giardia.....it can be anywhere, including rain puddles [spead by feet!] or, as mentioned, it never was really cleared uyp to begin with.
    you might also want a COMPLETE worm test [normal tests only check for 5 or so of the approx. 8 kinds there are].
    it also may be, since this happens at only night, that pup is too hungry by the time supper arrives, try feeding a smaller amount [a portion of the usual] earlier & see if this helps. [if they get too hungry, the stomach can go into spasms, 'rejecting' food.]

jebsmama is offline Senior Member

Sounds like recurrent Giardia...that's be my best guess.
    Susan
    Bayou Bay's Jeb's Trouble Too, RN, CGC