Soft Stools - I need help/suggestions - Long post warning.

Thread: Soft Stools - I need help/suggestions - Long post warning.

2yellowlabs is offline Senior Member

DefaultSoft Stools - I need help/suggestions - Long post warning.

My 11 month old lab pup is having yet another bout of soft stools. He's been tested for any and all worms - nothing. Been on Panocur and Flagyl - hasn't stopped the problem. We do give him Sentinel monthly - this has never been a problem in the past - have used it on my other two older dogs for quite a few years. I did read the posts regarding Interceptor vs Sentinel. Our vet recommended Sentinel and we use it year round. We did switch his food last fall from Bil Jac dry to Science Diet. When that didn't work we switched it back to Bil Jac. Something must have been OK because for awhile his stools were OK. The current issue started about mid-April with oddly enough, one day of solid stools, then back to soft. Our vet has suggested we try Purina Pro Plan Performance. At this point, I'd pretty much try anything. Since I usually have the delightful task of cleaning up after he's pooped, I've been looking for anything that moves but have seen nothing. (If someone has told me years ago what I do for my dogs, I wouldn't have believed them!) Our vet has told us she believes she has done all of the tests that could lead to a diagnosis and she has suggested we have his intestinal tract scoped to see if there is a problem there. I am so hesitant to have that procedure done but it may be our only way to figure out what is causing this issue. In addition, he seems to be getting more aggressive, especially with smaller dogs. He's started to growl at other dogs when they are close to him, something he never did before. Mostly he's cheerful, not vomiting, not unusually thirsty, has a good appetite. If anyone has been through something like this, I am appreciative of your help.
    Betsy
    Kelleygreens Couer D'Or, CGC,CD, RAE2 - Doro - Nov. 21, 1995 to Jan. 14, 2010
    Kelleygreens The Shamrock Kid, CGC, OM, UDX2, RE, NA, NAJ, AXP, AJP, ASCA CDX, - Shamrock
    Kelleygreens The Few, The Proud, CGC, CDX, GN, NA - Recon

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Soft Stools - I need help/suggestions - Long post warning.

I wouldn't switch the food again, especially since you had good results with the Bil-Jac before. Did the vet check for giardia? Most vets don't have a good eye for it nor do they regularly check for it when they do a stool sample.

You said you had the dog on panacur and flagyl. For how long?

There is no way I would give my dog sentinal. I don't want them taking flea meds (poison) by mouth. If I have a flea problem I'd rather use Frontline. Thankfully I don't have a flea problem where I am.

Had the dog had any meds or vaccines just before the stools started going bad again in mid-April?

Laura

Have you tried adding canned pumpkin (not pie filling) to his kibble? And maybe plain yogurt? I don't know if I'd scope him for soft stools and no other symptoms. Are you correcting him when he goes after smaller dogs? I would. Good luck!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tinat1 is offline Senior Member

I have a 5 year old lab that has always had soft stools. He also has anal gland issues and the vet told me that soft stools would do this.
    I do not want to have the scope run and this is also my last alternative.
    I even take wet wipes and clean him because he doesn't know how to butt scoot like his mom to clean up after bm.
    He is 107 lbs and all and all healthy.
    He was laid on when he was 2 days old and almost died and I wonder if this didn't mess him up somehow with his intestines.
    Was yours ever injured?
    Also, he went through a 9 month spell of eating rocks and I just somehow believe he might of not got rid of all them.
    Anyway, the only true way to find out our problems is the scope and I'm just not going to do it as long as he';s happy and healthy.
    Good luck

2yellowlabs is offline Senior Member

Thanks everyone for your answers and help. I will try to address your questions.

Yes - our vet has checked for Giardia a couple of times and did it again just before the Flagyl prescription. He did have a check up in March - but no additional vaccines and we did take a stool sample then and nothing was found in it. I have been told we should ask for a stool test using a centrifuge rather the the floating tests many vets use. Our vet has been the puppy's vet since we got him - she has been concerned as well but short of the scope doesn't have any new suggestions except to change his food.

He was on Panacur for 5 days - no improvement. Flagyl was a longer prescription but its finished too and no improvement. Someone has suggested EVO as a food because it has no grains in it. I haven't had a chance to do any research about EVO.

I don't know if was injured before we got him. To my knowledge nothing has happened to him since that should cause any tummy damage - he does try to eat "forbidden" items but I have been trying to watch him like a hawk and stop any of that. He does lick odd things - grass, shoes, magazines - something my other labs didn't do - but when I say no he stops right away.

He is small for his age - I keep thinking is there anything like "failure to thrive" for a dog. I was worried that I had underfed him but my vet says no - that his growth was more of a sloping line rather than a big burst which she thinks is better for him.

We did feed him yogurt for a while - that seemed to have little impact. He's a happy guy - seems to be energetic. Likes to learn - loves people and many other dogs. I do correct him when he is interested in small dogs and he accepts the correction fine. He can look out a window and bark at what's going by and I wonder if he thinks when he barks, dogs go away so this is what is trying. I worry that his soft stools and occasional interest in growling at smaller dogs is related.

Sure wish he could tell me what's wrong. Again - thanks to all for your suggestions and observations.

Betsy
    Kelleygreens Couer D'Or, CGC,CD, RAE2 - Doro - Nov. 21, 1995 to Jan. 14, 2010
    Kelleygreens The Shamrock Kid, CGC, OM, UDX2, RE, NA, NAJ, AXP, AJP, ASCA CDX, - Shamrock
    Kelleygreens The Few, The Proud, CGC, CDX, GN, NA - Recon