My choc lab has some red dots next to his genitals. (Pic attached!) What is it?

Thread: My choc lab has some red dots next to his genitals. (Pic attached!) What is it?

DefaultMy choc lab has some red dots next to his genitals. (Pic attached!) What is it?

SO I was just outside with our lab Maui spreading mulch. When we came back in my wife & I were rubbing his belly and we noticed four bright red circular dots right next to his penis on both sides. I hope it's not a problem to post a picture of this

Can anyone identify what it is? He's current on all his shots and he takes Heartgard and Flea / Tick preventer every month.

Is it some kind of bite? Someone on Yahoo questions answered a similar question from another dog owner and said they looked like flea bites... but I know with all the experts here someone will know what this is.

Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

talleyJudy is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: My choc lab has some red dots next to his genitals. (Pic attached!) What is

Possibly "sand flea" bites. As I understand it, these teeny, tiny biting critters do not live on the dog, but live on/in sand and come out in the sunshine to warm up. The dog lays on the sand/ground, gravel, and gets bit on the 'underside'.

Your picture looks like the bites my Italian Greyhound got one day many years ago when we were on vacation up at the North Shore in Minnesota.

Or, it could be something else altogether...
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." author Will Rogers

Auggie 12/29/95 ~ 01/15/09

DefaultRe: My choc lab has some red dots next to his genitals. (Pic attached!) What is it?

TOday they are bigger but less pronounced red. They look more like a red ring with a small bite in the middle?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: My choc lab has some red dots next to his genitals. (Pic attached!) What is it?

It could be a staph infection as well. I would check with the vet to be sure.

labby is offline Senior Member

Not sure where you are but we have these little flying gnat like things right now that bite humans, dogs and horses. The gnats that get into the house are full of blood when we kill them. They leave bright red welts on the dogs' bellies that fade in a few days only to be replaced with more.

Around here it's a spring thing and just something we bitch about and learn to live with.

Laura

rayluckgoo is offline Senior Member

If you're in black fly country I'd bet on those. They typically start with a red dot and spread to a red ring and then fade away. When I worked for a vet we'd get hundreds of calls a year with people thinking their dogs had ringworm.

DefaultRe: My choc lab has some red dots next to his genitals. (Pic attached!) What is

Quote Originally Posted by rayluckgoo
    If you're in black fly country I'd bet on those. They typically start with a red dot and spread to a red ring and then fade away. When I worked for a vet we'd get hundreds of calls a year with people thinking their dogs had ringworm.
    I'm in MA. Im' not sure if that's black fly county. I haven't brought him to the vet yet - this morning they looked like they did yesterday. He is acting completely fine.

rayluckgoo is offline Senior Member

MA is definitely black fly country! And if you spend any time outside you'll know it pretty soon. Black flies seem to like some people but don't others but they seem to always want to fly into your eyes and up your nose. If I were you I might mark one with a magic marker and see if it fades. You might be getting new ones every day so they don't look like they're changing. I'd do that before I saw a vet as long as it doesn't seem to be getting worse.
    Good Luck

Karolyn is offline Senior Member

Hi There,

Just letting you know that Harlee has had black fly bites that look like your pic, they should go away soon.

justine is offline Senior Member

The one on the left side of the photo looks exactly like something Abbey had just last weekend. I took her to the vet and she said it was actually a chigger bite, which I guess are very common in Michigan..

My vet said that a lot of the little spots all of the dogs get in the spring are just bug bites. The only ones to look out for are the ones that cause hair to fall out (can be ringworm) and ones that cause pus. The majority of the minor bug bites go away on their own.