Innova/Orijen= yeast in ears????

Thread: Innova/Orijen= yeast in ears????

DefaultInnova/Orijen= yeast in ears????

I had my pup on Orijen for large breed, i was starting to switch her to innova large breed and i am not sure if its a coincidence or not but she now has yeast inf. in her ear. i have been doing the switch for only 5 days now could the innova be causing the yeast inf? She was doing fine on the orijen better than fine but the protein i was told was too much by my vet... should i keep the switch going or just stay with the grain free, i can go either way since i am in the middle of changing

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Innova/Orijen= yeast in ears????

Reactions like this during this time of year can be difficult to pinpoint the cause. It is possible that the Innova is causing the problems, and it's possible that your dog has environmental allergies. True food allergies usually don't show up during the first two years, they usually develop later (usually). With spring, there are lots of environmental allergens out there, and given that environmental allergens are far more likely, you may want to think about that. I would continue with the switch for now, but maybe check with your vet to see what he/she thinks.

thanks that sounds good. My vet said the higher protein diets aren't suitable for puppies until they are 1 year is this true? if so why does orijen make a large breed puppy formula? doesn't make sense and i know vets are not nutritionists either.. not sure what to think!!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

I'd stay on the Orijen, personally. It's not the protein that you have to be concerned about for a pup, it's the calcium/phosphorus ratio, and Orijen has an appropriate one for young pups.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

yes she is at the half and half point of transition. Some vets say the protein is fine some say it's not. Personally she has had no issues with the Orijen at all so i think i shouldn't mess with food right now and keep her on it. It is highly digestible also so it wont hurt her kidneys either or would it in the long run?

Quote Originally Posted by love my chocolate
    thanks that sounds good. My vet said the higher protein diets aren't suitable for puppies until they are 1 year is this true? if so why does orijen make a large breed puppy formula? doesn't make sense and i know vets are not nutritionists either.. not sure what to think!!
    Well, I'm not an expert either, but based on what the experts say according to the most recent research, protein is not a problem. Like Kate said, it's calcium (along with total caloric intake, exercise, and other variables) that you should be concerned with.

Dani is offline Senior Member

Both foods are fine, but the protein content in Orijen is not the problem. Like Nick said, there could be plenty of environmental issues going on. My Rookie is on Innova LBA and he does fine in the ear department, EXCEPT, when I don't thoroughly dry out his ears after a good swim. They he gets yeasty.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

i think it could be due to the swimming also!!. A friend of mine is on the golden retriever forum and linked me to what is going on with Orijen and the bones found in their kibble and how they are not returning calls and making light of the whole thing. don't trust them. And they say they have the best interest of our pets in mind . so i am staying with the innova and see how she does. her poops are good so thats a plus.

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

Keep her on the Orijen if that's the food you prefer. Like the others have said, protein is NOT the problem when feeing grain-free to puppies, it's the calcium. And Orijen is the ONLY grain-free formulated with the proper amount of calcium for lab puppies.

thanks, i decided to stay with Orijen, you will always hear the good and bad about any food. and as of right now she is doing wonderfully on it, she actually looks like she is thinning out and starting to grow height wise. I thought for a little while i was going to have a midget lab!! although she is going to be more on the stocky side anyways just by looking at her mom, her dad is taller but i think all males are. Thanks..