Red Eyes

Thread: Red Eyes

DefaultRed Eyes

Over the past week or so I've noticed that Odie's eyes are redder than usual. The whites of his eyes on the top look normal. But if you pull his lower eye lids down, it is completely red. He also has some kind of yellow stuff leaking out of the corners of his eyes. Only a few drops that I wipe off a day, but I think it's worth mentioning.

As of yet, I've just been monitoring the situation to see if it gets any better or worse. He seem to be able to see just fine, and shows no signs of irritation. If it gets worse or persists, I'll obviously take him to the vet. But I'm trying to avoid going to the vet over every little thing. I'm not exactly made of money.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Garth is offline Registered Users

DefaultRe: Red Eyes

Quote Originally Posted by Scoper50
    If it gets worse or persists, I'll obviously take him to the vet. But I'm trying to avoid going to the vet over every little thing. I'm not exactly made of money.
    Please get him to the vet ASAP. It could be anything from an infection to something going on in the eye itself. Eyes are the one thing you don't take chances with. I should know. I've had 6 pugs over the years & spent thousands of $$$$ on eye problems. As my vet kept telling me, a pugs eyes are its own worst enemy. A few years ago, I had a black Pug that went blind because she got so many eye ulcers they turned to cataracts. I also had problems with Jo, my Lab & spent a fortune on him also. You wanna know about eye problems? I'll write you a book on the subject.

If finance is an issue, talk to your vet & see if you can arrange some sort of payment plan if the cost is more than you can afford. Any vet who puts the animals welfare ahead of money should be happy to negotiate something with you. Just don't risk it.

How old is he?.

He's about 4 1/2 months old. About a week ago I noticed the yellow puss coming from his eyes. Like I said it's only a few drops a day from each eye. But it wasn't until then that I started to pay closer attention to his eyes. The top of the eye above the colored part of his eye is white, like it should be, but the bottom of the eyes below the color is red. I guess I just wanted to know if this is normal. I never paid attention to it before. For all I know it could have been like that his whole life, and I never noticed. Thats why I wanted to check here first. Does the lower part of your dogs eye look white or red? I'm hoping this just nothing. Or maybe at the very least it's just alergies. It's Odie's first spring. He was fine all winter. Anyways, let me know how the eye looks below the lower eye lids on your dogs.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Here is a picture I took. Sorry for the crappiness of the photo. I had to hold his eye open because he kept blinking from the camera flash, and I couldn't resize the photo because photobucket is apparently having problems tonight.

sarah is offline Senior Member

My vet advised me that conjuntivitis is very common in pups - maybe that is what Odie has? His symptoms seem to fit anyway. Have you tried flushing his eyes out in warm salty water in case there is debris causing irritation? I would take Odie to the vet, if it is conjuntivitis then they will be able prescribe something to help clear it up.
    Sarah & Milly - Sydney Australia

Garth is offline Registered Users

If that eye is as red as it looks, I'd say you've definitely got a problem. As I said, it might just be a minor infection or it might be something more serious. Here's the link to a post I did a while back when Jo had eye problems. While I was waiting to get him to the vet, I asked around here & one person came up with the same diagnosis as my vet. This is probably the worst eye problem I've had with a dog & it had me beat as to what it was.

https://www.justlabradors.com/forum/i...c,55307.0.html

Prior to this, I was already treating him with Prednefrin Forte drops because he had a problem with the corneas that caused the whites of his eyes to go bloodshot.

I find a good first aid is to always keep a bottle of artificial tears in the fridge. If they start showing problems, the first thing I do is flood the eye with those & hopefully wash out any foreign body that might have got in. If that doesn't work then it's off to the vet.

Here's a couple of shots of "normal" eyes. My Pug & Shepherd. I no longer have Jo to show you a Labs eye but they're very similar. Like you, it's nearly impossible to get a good shot while trying to hold the eye open but I think you'll see what I mean.