Cyclicle Diarhea

Thread: Cyclicle Diarhea

Tanya is offline Senior Member

DefaultCyclicle Diarhea

Same story. Every three or four weeks Rocky gets diarrhea. I mean bad, liquid, squirting out stuff. He is otherwise fine (no change).

What are the possibilities (and i realize there are many)? I changed foods about a month ago to eliminate that (From Orijen, grain free, to Performatrin Ultra, decent grain food).

Every time we have his checked for parasites and it's negative. He's been tested over and over again since January. He's been on panacur (though not since December I think) repeatedly.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Cyclicle Diarhea

Oh I feel your frustration, Tanya...

When you had the fecals done for Rocky, did they just do a float? or did they look specifically for ova/parasites? There's a snap antigen test also for giardia. Having said that, Henry had both done (ova/parasites/snap giardia) in December, and it came up negative, though he's now roundworm positive. Vet believes that he was roundworm positive back then as well, but was not shedding eggs so therefore, a false negative. So, to be honest, I don't have much faith in fecals at the moment!

How did he do after the Panacur? If there was an improvement, I might be of the mindset to try it again. Did he have 2 treatments of it with a follow-up fecal?

You haven't started heartworm meds yet, right? (just trying to think what would be a monthly deal...)

Most of the test where for "all parasites" (and giardia). Now, having said this, I do not know EXACTLY what they call it. I ask for the one that tests for EVERYTHING. One or two were only for giardia but they were when we have no symptoms (my first foster ended up with it so I tested)

I realize these tests are far from accurate (as you said). Which is a piss of as it costs alot of money for something that most often doesn't give you the entire story.

He was last on panacur before the holidays. He was fine with that. It works for the same amount of time. He usually does two rounds. In the fall he also got a shot for giardia (which I believes makes the shedding less easy to catch by other dogs or to himself).

We are supposed to start heart worms in May I think. I have to go in and get that checked out (I'm pretty sure they do a blood test beforehand). He is on the heartguard plus (or he was last year)

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Yep, your vet will do a blood test to make sure he's not HW+, then you can go ahead with your monthly meds. I take Hen in for his test on Thursday, but we start in June here.

So, whether he's on Panacur or not, he's still having diarrhea every 3-4 weeks?

I admit, he has not been on Panacur since before Christmas. This wasn't as cyclicle back then (it started in January).

I hate just giving meds. But I may double check with my vet when we last did the panacur and give it a try.

Oh - when he doesn't have diarhea his poops are wonderful. It's REALLY out of the blue.