Bathing Question

Thread: Bathing Question

DefaultBathing Question

Hi I have a question that I need an answer to I hope someone can answer it.
    I have a 3 month old girl and I was wondering how often I should bath her. The last bath she had was on April 18 just before I brought her home the pound gave her that bath and I was just wondering when and how often I should be bathing her.
    I want to bath her but I'm not sure if it is to soon to give her one or not.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Bathing Question

In general, few baths are best.

When they've been in a pound/shelter/kennel for awhile, they do pick up a musky odor that a bath can cure.

ButLabs do NOT need regular baths. Rinsing with fresh (tepid) water is often sufficient followed by thorough drying (towels).

If they roll in the DBS (Dreaded Black Stinky), then some spot cleaning with dog shampoo and rinsing and drying takes care of that.

BE SURE TO USE A SHAMPOO FORMULATED ESPECIALLY FOR DOGS. Even human baby shampoo is irritating to dog skin.

I'm attaching below comments from a previous post:

DO NOT USE HUMAN SHAMPOO (adult, baby, male, female, etc.)

Human skin (adult, baby, male, female, etc.) is many times more acidic than dog skin. Human skin is around 5.5 on the logarithmic pH scale (1=most acidic, 7=neutral, 14=most alkaline) while dogs are around 7. If any human shampoo is properly formulated, it will irritate dogs' skin by its immediate contact whether you wash it all off or not, just as a brief exposure of battery acid on your skin would irritate it even if you washed it all off. This irritation to your dog's skin can cause irritation, skin shedding and dandruff-like flakes.

Google pH dog skin for more references, if you don't believe.

One example, from http://www.petshed.com/petcyclopedia...-properly.html :

The first rule of dog bathing is not to use a human shampoo. The pH of dog skin is very different to that of human skin. While our skin has a pH of around 5.5 to 5.6, your dog's skin is much more neutral, averaging a pH of between 6.2 and 7.4. Shampoos formulated for humans are much more acidic than those for dogs, and using a human shampoo can upset the balance of a dog's skin.

Or, for a safe home made dog shampoo, see this recipe: http://www.k911.biz/Petsafety/DogShampoo.htm

For a brief summary of pH values, see http://www.elmhurst.edu/~chm/vchembook/184ph.html

The pH difference of about 1.5 between the skin of dogs and humans means that human skin is about 60 times more acidic than dog skin. Each whole integer step represents a 10X increase, two integers represents a 100X increase. The Elmhurst reference just above reference includes the following (basic = alkaline):

Introduction and Definitions:
    Acidic and basic are two extremes that describe a chemical property chemicals. Mixing acids and bases can cancel out or neutralize their extreme effects. A substance that is neither acidic nor basic is neutral.

The pH scale measures how acidic or basic a substance is. The pH scale ranges from 0 to 14. A pH of 7 is neutral. A pH less than 7 is acidic. A pH greater than 7 is basic.

The pH scale is logarithmic and as a result, each whole pH value below 7 is ten times more acidic than the next higher value. For example, pH 4 is ten times more acidic than pH 5 and 100 times (10 times 10) more acidic than pH 6. The same holds true for pH values above 7, each of which is ten times more alkaline (another way to say basic) than the next lower whole value. For example, pH 10 is ten times more alkaline than pH 9 and 100 times (10 times 10) more alkaline than pH 8.

Pure water is neutral. But when chemicals are mixed with water, the mixture can become either acidic or basic. Examples of acidic substances are vinegar and lemon juice. Lye, milk of magnesia, and ammonia are examples of basic substances.

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

The only time they need a bath is if they get into something really stinky or sticky. If they are blowing coat a good rinse off with water and brushing will help some but you don't really need to shampoo them. Their hair is naturally water resistant and even if they get really muddy once it dries it just brushes right off normally. If you do bathe them make sure to use a dog shampoo and make sure to get all the soap out. Honestly Zeus hasn't had a bath since the day we got him. He was kept outside and stunk but since then he's been fine. Mocha had one last week because she decided to stand under Zeus when he was peeing :vomit: so I washed that area, I don't remember the time before that though.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Generally bathing too often can strip their coat of it's protective oils, often drying out their skin and causing their coat to become dull and brittle. Baloo is 14 months and has had two true baths in his lifetime, both times because he was covered in large amounts of excrement. :vomit:

I rinse him off a lot, when he gets muddy or dusty or whatnot, just don't use shampoo.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

labby is offline Senior Member

Never. I've never bathed my dogs. If they roll in something particularly nasty, they get a quick spot wash.

Laura

Thank you all for replying to my post. If you still want to add please do so.

What some people do on the board is inbetween giving their dogs baths is they spritz them down with a solution of half water and half mouthwash. Cover the eyes and just towel them off afterwards.
    Olie

We bathe our dog once a year - usually after the summer season of swimming is finished. Strangely enough, for a dog that will break thru ice to lay in streams or splash in mudholes :death:she HATES getting bathed!

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Only if they roll in something REALLY foul -- something that just rinsing with water will not get rid of.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

margsmum said:
    We bathe our dog once a year - usually after the summer season of swimming is finished. Strangely enough, for a dog that will break thru ice to lay in streams or splash in mudholes :death:she HATES getting bathed!
    Where do you bathe her? If in the bathtub, do you have any rubber mats lining the bottom of the tub?

My Puff strongly resisted getting in the tub for a spot (handheld shower head) cleaning until I thought perhaps the reason was the lack of secure footing of her paws/nails against the porcelain tub surface. So, got a couple rubber tub mats to line the bottom and -- VOILA!! -- instant success.

Now, all I have to do is ask her to hop in and she does so without protest or dawdling.

Then I apply the handheld Waterpik shower head (on a hose) with tepid water directly against the offending spot and flush it away. I squeegee off as much extra water as possible with my hand, ask her to hop out, shake, and then I towel her dry -- the toweling is a treat she likes almost as much as car rides.

BTW, I stuff nylon mesh in the tub drain to capture free floating, migrant Lab hairs before they can clog the drain.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748