Can it look like Mange and be something else??? UPDATE...Need good supplement

Thread: Can it look like Mange and be something else??? UPDATE...Need good supplement

DefaultCan it look like Mange and be something else??? UPDATE...Need good supplement

Gertie (2yrs. this May) has what appears to be mange once again. On and off since last summer. The edges of her ear have hair loss and we have treated 2x with Ivermectin since last summer. Vet wasn't sure 1st dose cleared it up or she got re-infected. She has secondary sores due to the itching. She has been on antibiotics and finally the only thing that worked to heal up the sores & promote some hair growth was putting a collar on her so she couldn't scratch. (All this happened over the course of 6 months or so)
    Well...here we go again. I am seriously doubting that she has mange AGAIN. My other dog never got it. She only has it on her left ear. Not too bad yet, but I am thinking some sort of allergy.
    What do you think? Allergies that seem to only affect her ears? I have no clue. The rest of her body is fine. She only scratches her ears. Will allergies promote hair loss on the edges of her ear?

Sorry for the long explanation...any help appreciated.
    Thanks

OK....I am going to assume (after researching more) that I am dealing with the horrible mange once again. Treat & hopefully see results.
    I need a good supplement to give along with treatment (which will probably be Ivermectin once again). She is on Diamond Naturals Lamb & Rice. Is there a supplement designed to promote healthy skin & coat & hopefully help with the itchies?
    Thanks....

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Can it look like Mange and be something else??? UPDATE...Need good supplement

Just bumping up so I can hopefully get some good advice on my supplement question.
    Thank you!

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Can it look like Mange and be something else??? UPDATE...Need good supplemen

Here's a thread from the holistic section on mange, hopefully it will help you out a bit: (just ignore the catty arguing back and forth, there is a lot of good info in there.)

https://www.justlabradors.com/forum/i...c,73160.0.html

Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Can it look like Mange and be something else??? UPDATE...Need good supplement

Fish oil. I give 1000mg capsule with every meal. Just give the capsule as a treat with a few pieces of kibble. If you want to really push it, you can add a teaspoon of vegetable oil on their kibble.

okay, time to become Sherlock Holmes--check with your vet to see when this happened last time, it could be seasonal allergies. think about correlations to lawn care products, 'spring cleaning', seasonal insecticides, and so on...even things your town puts on/in their parks.
    have you considered 'hot spots'? they tend to appear in the same spot. completely different management vs. mange!
    you will also want to thoroughly disinfect [bleach solution, soapy hot water wash, air-dry] any surfaces which she contacts, including those in your car if she goes there.
    i totally agree that adding fat to the diet can help with a multitude of skin problems, and remember, dogs do NOT get high cholesterol like we do, fat is their major source of energy.
    be prepared to experiment with different types of fat, we have had one lab that needed LOTS of [unsalted] real butter in her diet to avert skin trouble...we tried every single thing you can buy or get until we hit on the butter by accident. most diet additives for skin take several weeks to show a result, so try each for 4-6 weeks before swiching to another, or you could be attributing results to the wrong thing!

amazongold is offline Senior Member

We found that Missing Link Plus helped Shadow when she developed strange bald patches on her flanks. The vet scraped, tested, etc. and could not find a cause for it. Poor girl went about a year with large, totally bald areas on both sides. Then a stranger came to our yard sale, saw Shadow, and told us that her dogs had had the same problem. Missing Link solved it for them, so we tried it. Within three weeks we could see hair starting to come back, and by about eight weeks the spots were completely filled in. I still had some of it left when we got Buddy so I continued using it on him and now use it for Champ as well. It has the omega 3 oils as well as lots of veggie fiber.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy