parvo question

Thread: parvo question

brody is offline Senior Member

Defaultparvo question

anybody know what the most current thinking is on post parvo - how long a dog is infectious for potentially? I know ground can stay infected for ages but how long is the actual dog infectious?

I likely have a post parvo dog tomorrow and will isolate him but he's a punk apparently and my own dogs are very good at turning that around

two summers ago all my dogs were likely exposed to post parvo dogs (one of my current crew had it we believe) I'm trying to figure out the risk - and I will call vet tomorrow - and I do err on side of caution but this punk is gonna need some socialization and work
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

pat
    pat is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: parvo question

My last lab had Parvo. I was told surfaces could carry the virus for 18 months. Not sure on how long a dog remains contagious.

Maybe PM Joe he's had several in his rescue he's kept in isolation.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MSUlady is offline Senior Member

Current thoughts are that a dog actively sheds virus in their feces for aproximately 3 weeks post infection.

BUT
    Recovered dogs may serve as carriers and shed virus periodically for a much longer time period.

Otis - the most trusting dog on Earth.

brody is offline Senior Member

my calls today suggest that two weeks of treatment after cessation of symptoms and the dog should be good to go - which is good as I have a crazy hardly at home May coming up

he's already showing that he's a character .. a very very cute character - why oh why do people spoil small dogs so?
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller