Simple exertion or heat stroke?

Thread: Simple exertion or heat stroke?

DefaultSimple exertion or heat stroke?

Hello all ...

The lawn guys came to cut the grass today. Two gates were left open. I closed one, but forgot about the other one. Willow discovered the open gate and the chase was on! She had a grand time running up and down our street. Fortunately it ends in a culdesac so there isn't much traffic. After about 20 minutes or so of hard running, she finally let herself be caught. I let her in the house. She had gobs of saliva covering her chin, her tongue was hanging out and she was breathing heavily and her heart was pounding. I offered her some cool water and she gave a few token laps. I led her to the tub and hosed her down in cool water for a good 5 minutes. I then offered her some gaterade. She drank about 12 oz or so (guesstimation). Even after that, it took another 15-20 minutes for her body to slow down and her heart rate to ease up. She's dry now and seems to be fine, although a bit exhausted. It is a very warm spring day here in Richmond VA and I'm wondering if she got heat stroke from all that hard running? The cold shower, and gaterade seemed to revive her.

So far she's been a healthy 2 yr old, except for a penchant for cat poop!

Lorie

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

jlab Guest

DefaultRe: Simple exertion or heat stroke?

Sounds like heat exhaustion. Signs of heat exhaustion is heavy panting, hyperventilation (deep breathing) and increased salivation early on.

In heat stoke, early on there is paleness or greying of the gum then it progresses towards weakness, confusion or inattention, vomiting or diarrhea and sometimes bleeding. In later stages of heat stroke, there is shallowing of the breathing efforts and eventually slowed or absent breathing efforts, vomiting and diarrhea that may be bloody and finally seizures or coma.

You did good - you stopped it from progressing to heat stroke. If your dog ever collapses, that is definately heat stroke. In that case, you only have minutes to cool as quickly as possible with cool water and A/C if possible. Get to a vet immediately - heat stroke is life threatening and could very easily cause brain damage if not treated quickly.

question--why gatorade? IMO way too much salt & sugar for a dog, would put additional strain on their system.
    best would be lots of plain cool water, and you could have applied ice packs [wrapped in damp cloth] to the underside of the rear leg/abdominal area.
    [if you gave gatorade because the dog wouldn't drink, you must take immediate action, it is a medical emergency!]

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by queenofthedogs
    question--why gatorade? IMO way too much salt & sugar for a dog, would put additional strain on their system.
    best would be lots of plain cool water, and you could have applied ice packs [wrapped in damp cloth] to the underside of the rear leg/abdominal area.
    [if you gave gatorade because the dog wouldn't drink, you must take immediate action, it is a medical emergency!]
    I keep in my dogs water durning summer months DogZymes Electrolyte Powder. Normally just durning play times and training when they tend to over work. Lily plays and works hard all the time and has no clue when to stop so I saw a great need for this product. Great for at agility trials, tracking events, etc.
    But sometimes it is best to just keep them out of the heat/sun. It is very scary to see them drop from heat. You were very lucky.
    Kim