high calorie kibble and nutrition

Thread: high calorie kibble and nutrition

Defaulthigh calorie kibble and nutrition

not sure if this makes sense.... I am feeding Orijen LBP which has 483 kcal. I was feeding Eagle pack which i think was around 366 kcal. Obviously i am going to feed less of the orijen. So if i were feeding 4 cups of eagle and now only 3 cups of orijen, does that mean my puppy is not getting the nutrients she needs? Someone i spoke to told me she is not getting the nutrition she needs because most lbp foods are lower calories so they can eat more and not gain weight. does this make sense? it doesn't to me....

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: high calorie kibble and nutrition

If you were feeding 4 cups of Eagle Pack at 366kcal/cup, then Belle was getting 1464kcal per day.
    3 cups of Orijen LBP at 483kcal/cup = 1449kcal per day, so Belle is getting pretty much the same kcal per day as she was on the Eagle Pack.

She is getting the same amount of nutrition that she was getting on the EP, just that Orijen is MUCH more nutrient-dense (more kcals/cup). Also, I'm not sure of the size of the EP kibble, but Orijen is pretty small, so that's another reason why you can pack more kcals per cup...

Someone i spoke to told me she is not getting the nutrition she needs because most lbp foods are lower calories so they can eat more and not gain weight. does this make sense? it doesn't to me....
    I've never heard this, so I can't answer your question. I wonder if the lower caloric food is higher in fillers, so the dog poops it out anyway, even though he/she is eating more?

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

In terms of dog food research, you'll hear a lot of opinions. Sometimes it's difficult to separate facts and opinions, because everyone seems to have an idea of what's best in terms of nutrition and a lot of the times those ideas will collide and contradict. You basically just have to figure out what makes sense to you and go with that.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Ok I was also reading that if food A has 24% protein and food B has 40% protein but the dog is eating more of food A because it's not so dense, then the pup is getting more protein or the same as in food B with the 40%....It makes sense to me if she is eating more of food A.