Looking for a new food

Thread: Looking for a new food

DefaultLooking for a new food

Ok, so here's the story. Ever since I got Odie at 12 weeks he has had sloppy stools. When I adopted him from the humane society he had whipworms. Of course I took him to the vet right away to get the situation corrected. He was put on prescription dewormer and the stools seemed to harden slightly. Instead of pouring out of him, the stools hung there a little but were still pretty soft.

Now persent day, he has gone through two rounds of deworming medication and the vet says we shouldn't do anymore unless he tests positive for worms again. His last three stool samples have came up negative for worms.

So apparently he's worm free, but his stools are still not as solid as they should be. I asked the vet if it would be worth a try to switch foods to see what happens, and she said it couldn't hurt. She tried to sell me some brand they had in the animal hospital, but it was really expensive and only came in 10 pound bags.

Right now I'm feeding Natural Choice Large Breed Puppy Food. I'm looking for a food thats high quality (not full of filler) Does anybody have any reccomend anything?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Looking for a new food

I feed mine ProPlan and mine have great stools. Whenever I think to change to something else, they get bad stools. So now I just keep them on the ProPlan.

Laura

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

I never had firm poo when I fed my boy Natural Choice Large Breed Puppy Food. And the stool volume was horrid.
    I honestly can say the best I have seen in any of my dogs is since they have been on ProPlan. They all get a chicken based food.

Kim

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dani is offline Senior Member

How much are you feeding? Overfeeding also causes loose stools.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Callaway is offline Senior Member

I was having the same problem, I was using proplan LBP, I switched to an adult chicken and rice(still proplan) and he has great poops now. And I cut back a bit like Dani said, helped alot too! Good luck.

Courtney, Bogey and Calli

i had the same problem. My dogs stools were soft and yellow. I switched to a food called ORIJEN and immediately her stools were harder and darker. An added bonus with a good dog food is that they go less frequently.

Quote Originally Posted by Dani
    How much are you feeding? Overfeeding also causes loose stools.
    I'm feeding the bare minimum for his weight. It's 3 cups a day of Natural Choice. He's 33 pounds. How much proplan would I feed him at 33 lbs?

labby is offline Senior Member

I'm not a fan of any Nutro foods. They have really (IMO) gone downhill over the years.

How old is your pup now? Maybe I missed that somewhere. Depending on his age, you can prolly forget the puppy food and switch to adult. I'd start on the low side of what is recommended on the bag and then adjust for your dog once you figure out if it's going to work for him or not.

When Jake was growing, he got up to about 6½ cups of food a day (adult food). Now that he's full grown at 11 months, he's down to about 4-4½ cups per day.

Laura

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

This is a great website that was very helpful in making food selections:

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/

And another that has great articles:

http://www.dogfoodproject.com/

Keep in mind, people are obviously going to suggest what has worked well for them, which could very well not work well for Odie, know what I mean? My advice would be to do some research, settle on a few brands you like as a result of said research and try them out.

What helped me was to create a "food hierarchy", meaning the brands/formulas I liked the most were at the top, followed by those I liked second best, and so on. That way, if my dog didn't do well on my "top" foods, I had a plan B. (and C, and D.... )

Good luck!
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!