well I'm impressed...
Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: well I'm impressed...

  1. #1
    brody's Avatar
    brody is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    ontario canada
    Posts
    3,895

    Defaultwell I'm impressed...

    for the first time in my life (how I really don't know I've avoided it to date) I called the ASPCA poison control centre this am

    $60 and I got the advice I needed as well as the connection that my vet could have followed up with if vet care had ended up being required...without any additional costs

    the vet was not at work yet when I realized there was a potential toxin ingested and the tech suggested calling the posion control centre as they would have to do that anyhow as toxicity for dogs of human calibrated drugs is not at every clinic

    the other option would have been emerg and it would probably have cost $400 to do pretty much exactly what I did today (induce vomitting, monitor closely and feed small small meals)

    luckily I was able to induce vomitting fairly quickly and the vet care piece was not needed but it was very reassuring to have somebody "on call" all day

    phew another bullet for Sally averted
    (she's on about life 20 now I think - not bad for not being 2 yet)


    I can't recommend it highly enough if needed- the vets were compassionate, interested and happy to answer questions multiple times.. they sent hubby to the drug store to read labels and happily took a call from him with the detailed info they wanted

    so nice to have something work
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

    “I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

  2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    63

    DefaultRe: well I'm impressed...

    Glad you got the advice you needed and avoided a trip to the Emergency Vets. Sounds like everything is okay now.

  4. #3
    brody's Avatar
    brody is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    ontario canada
    Posts
    3,895

    DefaultRe: well I'm impressed...

    Sally was her usual maniacal self tonight at agility so it certainly seems all is well - I didn't push her but she pushed me

    just a heads up xylitol is HIGHLY toxic to dogs...

    hypoglycemia and liver failure in fairly small doses if ignored- bets are if I hadn't called and taken action (ie noticed) she would have been in a coma by the time I got home

    what a way to start a week!

    thank heavens I thought to call
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

    “I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

  5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    10,230

    DefaultRe: well I'm impressed...

    I'm glad you caught it early and the poison control center was able to help. I've heard of xylitol being bad for them but I didn't realize that it was that toxic. It is in a lot of sugar free gum and other sugar free things so be extra careful if you keep them around.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25