Heat exhaustion?

Thread: Heat exhaustion?

DefaultHeat exhaustion?

I originally posted this in the Lab Chat area:

My 5-1/2 year-old lab has recently exhibited a troubling new fetching behavior the last few months. After ten minutes or so of playing he will refuse to drop the ball. He will not drop it when asked, which seems strange for an otherwise obedient, fetch-crazy dog. Since the fetch light illuminated in his puppy brain years ago, he's always dropped the ball at my feet after a retrieve. He now excitedly stands there next to me, ball locked in his jaw, as if he's waiting for me to throw it again. He'll even lower his snout to the ground as if he's dropping it, but will simply reposition his grip on the ball instead of letting go. During this "lockjaw" phase he will follow any number of commands such as sit, stay and down - seemingly everything but "drop it". I've tried a couple of times to remove the ball myself, but I'm afraid that he'll clamp down on my fingers. I've tried crossing my arms, turning my back, and refusing the play as a way to let him know that his actions have stopped the fun. No luck. During these episodes he has a vacant, "far away" look in his eyes. It's almost as if he's trapped in some kind of manic moment. He will not let go of the ball for water or treats. I leash him up, take him home, and put him in a down-stay in the backyard. He'll eventually let go of the ball after 15 minutes or so and will come inside.

Have any of you experienced anything like this with your labs? Could he be experiencing some kind of mental lapse due to overexertion? I am conscientious about giving him rest after a few retrieves, but maybe his drive has finally surpassed his physical abilities. Could this be a different issue? I'm sad because this behavior effectively stops the joy of fetch for us both.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Heat exhaustion?

I suggest that you alter your retrieving regimen.

(BTW, why ask him to "drop it" so you have to pick it up from the ground? Why not ask him to "Give" and take it from his mouth?)

Take along a few kibbles and give a treat for each successful "Give"

Whenever old routines breakdown, return to basic training methods.

The "NILIF" protocol is very powerful and effective.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Oakley won't give me the ball back when she is tired. She takes a little rest and then drops the ball again to go.
    Maybe slow your game down a bit.
    Those are my thoughts.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

jlab Guest

Does your lab have a dominant nature?

I had a similar issue with one of my labs a few years ago. Boo lived to retreive anything and everything. He was very smart and had a dominant personality. At about 5 years old, he suddenly decided to clamp onto the ball and not release it. He would sit, roll over, give paw, heel and most anything else but he would not release the ball on the "give" command.

I saw this as a natural challenge to me being the pack leader. I resolved it by keeping my (gloved) hand on the outside of the ball that he had clamped down in his mouth. Periodically, I would gently try to remove the ball from his mouth and he would clamp down harder. I kept some tension on the ball in his mouth so he would continue to clamp down. Eventually his jaw would become very tired and he would release it. I won every one of these battles and the time between the initial clamp down and release became less and less. Then all of a sudden, he stopped the behavior entirely.

In my experience, the worst thing you can do is let him "win" the battle of wills. It only reinforces the behavior and not only makes this behavior worse but also spills over to other undesireable dominent behavior.

Another way to make them give up the ball is to push the ball further in their mouth. They expect you to pull on it. They don't expect you to push on it.