White flakes

Thread: White flakes

DefaultWhite flakes

Bella seems to have developed a case of dandruff or dry skin. What can we do for this she is eating Canidae food and seems to be doing well on it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

sarah is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: White flakes

If you bathe her too often with shampoo this may be causing it also? Not sure about the food - others on here may be able to assist with that

cheers
    Sarah
    Sarah & Milly - Sydney Australia

Actually, we have only had her for about 4 months and have not given her a bath maybe that is the problem? She is nice and shiny so I haven't really thought about that.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

sarah is offline Senior Member

Bathing your puppy/dog strips oils from their coat which leaves the skin very dry. It is not recommended to bathe them regularly at all.

If you want to bathe her (IMO) I would wash her down with warm water without any soap and then towel-dry her, when she's dry give her a good brush. I also have a nice leave-in conditioner that I sometimes use if Milly has been rolling in something yuck and the smell has lingered (but usually the warm water does the trick as well as the good brushing afterward.)

Has the weather changed where you live? It could be seasonal too. We're getting colder and windier here in Sydney with winter approaching and I know the change in the weather affects MY skin, it also appears to be doing the same with Milly, she sometimes gets the same little white flakes that you are mentioning on your puppy. (Milly is almost 5mo) So we don't bathe her in the cold weather, just a damp cloth and a good brush.
    Sarah & Milly - Sydney Australia