soft stools!

Thread: soft stools!

Defaultsoft stools!

why is it that my puppy goes poo and its solid when it first comes out, then she contines to squat there for a while and its diarreha? Is it maybe her food? She occasionally gets a tsp of peanut butter in her kong or some carrots (baby ones) and tiny pc of bananas. Her food is grain free maybe it's too rich? If so what food do you recommend? to firm her up and so she wont look like she is straining?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

sarah is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: soft stools!

if you are over-feeding her this can cause the runs too. Have you checked that you are feeding the recommended intake thats on her kibble bag? The kibble manufacturers often put the recommended intake as more than what your puppy requires also (to sell more kibble) so it could be that the recommended amount is still a bit too much.

How often are you feeding your puppy? How old is your puppy? If your puppy is less than 4 months old you should be dividing her allocated kibble amount into three and feeding her three times a day. If you feed your puppy once a day it could be that her body is unable to breakdown the kibble in enough time before her system processes it. If your puppy is 4+ months then your dog should be getting fed twice a day for the rest of it's life.

I am not sure about the grain free food, others on the forum will have some great advice for you though

cheers
    Sarah
    Sarah & Milly - Sydney Australia

Dani is offline Senior Member

what kind of grain free are you feeding? If it's EVO. STOP NOW. It's not intended for puppies. Overfeeding is cause for diareha, plus many more things...how old is your pup?
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

hi my pup is 1 week shy of 6 months old. she is fed 2 times a day and 1.5 cups at each feeding. She is also on Orijen LBP. I spoke with my breeder and she said this is all normal and she could also be emptying her anal sacs. she only poops 2 maybe 3 times a day so i know she is utilizing her food well also.

wow! I was looking here today because my 5 month old chocolate lab has been having problems with soft stools/ diarrhea. I also was feeding Orijen LBP. I took her to the vet a week ago due to blood in her urine. Turns out that was a urinary tract infection. He also took a x-ray and showed me she had no blockage, but large pocket of gas. He told me her stomach appears to be sensitive, and switched her to Iams veterinary formula intestinal low residue. He said to feed this for two or three weeks, then ween her to something else. She has been fine since we made this change. I really liked the Orijen but he told me that it is great food, but because it's so rich many dogs have a hard time with it.Good luck with your pup, I hope you don't have to go through what we did.

sarahnye- well isn't that odd? How long have you been feeding her the orijen? was her stool always soft? and after she is done with iams, what do you plan on putting her on? any ideas? i wonder if its too rich? she goes fine at first then she will walk and go aliitle more and its soft then really loose if she goes more.

im sorry the last post from me was for "nobile" oops!!