Just Labradors banner

Promeris

2K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  2labcrew 
#1 ·
Has anyone used PROMERIS? I applied it to Rosie yesterday (for fleas and ticks) and she is having numerous side effects now. She is lethargic, has no energy, and is just not herself in many ways. She is a Choc. Lab who will be 7 y/o in 3 weeks. I have seen postings that this medication has some bad side effects including the ones I mentioned. Any info/input is appreciated. Since it is Sunday evening and my Vet is closed I cannot call. I plan to first thing in the morning. BTW, I have checked out this website since Rosie was a puppy, but this is the first time I have posted. Over the years I have gotten great information from the contributors from this site.
Thank You,

Rosalita's Dad

#2 ·
I am very interested in the replies to this. My vet talked me into this as opposed tot he Frontline I had been using for 6 years. My boys are 6.

I Hope she feels better!

Did you notice a eucalyptus odor? They told me I would smell that as it dissipated.

#5 ·
There are a number of reports of very serious side effects using that product. Just do a web search and you'll find them. I'd let your vet know and make sure you don't use this product on Rosie again.

#6 ·
How is she today?

I'm curious why you switched her to this product? Was she having problems with Frontline? If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 8)

I don't trust any new product on the market, for animals or humans.

#10 ·
Rosie Update.

By 8:45 the Vet's office had packed up all of their supply of Promeris for shipment back to Ft. Dodge, a division of Wyeth. Rosie is the third dog in his office to have these side effects. He's extremely mad at the drug company and its rep. His office will have Frontline tomorrow morning and owners can either get a refund or an exchange on the Promeris.

Rosie has improved she has a lot more energy - almost back to normal.

Why did the vet switch? Promeris is brand new and supposedly kills fleas and ticks in a slightly different and more effective manner. Whatever.

The point made about brand new medications, whether for humans or animals, is a good one. I had a terrible experience with a drug that was only on the market for 9 months. The bottom line is to be wary of clinical trials produced by the company. Also the FDA has a tendency to push drugs thru too fast. No one in my family, Rosie included, will be using any medications that are new to the market.
Thanks for your kind comments.

Rosie's Dad

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.