Lily's fast eating habit!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lily's fast eating habit!

lkb987 is offline Senior Member

QuestionLily's fast eating habit!

Hey everyone!
    My 1 and 3/4 yo female yellow Labrador Retreiver, Lily gets fed 4 cups of food once a day. When she gets it she devours it like she has never eaten. Does anyone know a way to keep her from eating so fast?
    Thanks,
    Laura

Liy Chelsea Blinson

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

georgie is offline Senior Member

I have heard people put a large rock or even a big coffe cup in the food bowl. They say it slows them down when eating. I can't say for sure because Molly has empty stomach syndrome & needs to eat close to bedtime, so we feed both of ours three diveded meals a day. I am sure someone who has a fast eating lab will give you their tips.

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

a couple of bowls on the market

Break Fast bowl
    Kim

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Thanks you guys! That is really helpful. I will defintitely try the coffee cup! And I will see if I can find the bowl.

Liy Chelsea Blinson

I really really appreciate it!!!

Liy Chelsea Blinson

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by lkb987 View Post
    Thanks you guys! That is really helpful. I will defintitely try the coffee cup! And I will see if I can find the bowl.
    A much cheaper alternative to that bowl is a bundt style cake pan. A couple of "home remedies" I've used over the years is the rock, but I used 3 or 4 good sized ones & tennis balls (didn't work, Mick just took them out). What worked really well with Caleb was putting all 3 of his Kongs in his dish. But, honestly, the best way I've found to slow down a fast eater is to use a very large dish so the food is spread out in a thing layer (Caleb gets 1 1/2 cups of food twice a day and eats out of a 10 inch wide dish). Cookie sheets work great for this, too, as does simply spreading the food across the floor. Also, dividing her food into two meals might slow her down some.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by MicksMom View Post
    A much cheaper alternative to that bowl is a bundt style cake pan. A couple of "home remedies" I've used over the years is the rock, but I used 3 or 4 good sized ones & tennis balls (didn't work, Mick just took them out). What worked really well with Caleb was putting all 3 of his Kongs in his dish. But, honestly, the best way I've found to slow down a fast eater is to use a very large dish so the food is spread out in a thing layer (Caleb gets 1 1/2 cups of food twice a day and eats out of a 10 inch wide dish). Cookie sheets work great for this, too, as does simply spreading the food across the floor. Also, dividing her food into two meals might slow her down some.
    Haha! Lily has two Kongs one is a bone and one is a regular medium Kong toy. Today when I fed Lily, I didn't have time to go find a large rock or to get a coffee cup out of the kitchen. So instead, I quickly got her Kong bone and put iut in her food bowl as she was eating, and it seemed to slow her down just a bit. So all in all...... I will have to see which one works best--- The large rock--The coffee cup-- The breakfast bowl-- OR the large dish.
    Thanks again,
    Laura
    PS-- I'm still open for some suggestions!

Liy Chelsea Blinson

LopersNLabs is offline Senior Member

I use something like the breakfast bowl but I found one at Petsmart for $5 and the "walls" were different than the breakfast. I seemed to work better, and I gave my $25.00 breakfast to the neighbors ! I found the bowls dont work at all with my JRT's so I started watering their food down and now they don't choke on the food either.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

I use anti bloat stainless bowls that look just like sombreros. I feed 2x a day and add water to the food. In addition at each meal I break up the puppy's meal into 2 parts. Makes him slow down a little.

My older dog eats at a pretty normal pace - but Blaise acts like his last meal was weeks ago every time I feed him.

Since I lost a dog to bloat last September, I am pretty vigilant about feeding.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Thanks...... I really need to look at petsmart for thast 5$ bowl!

Liy Chelsea Blinson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast